As announced at DICE 2013, Star Trek and Star Wars director J.J. Abrams will be working with Half-Life and Portal creator Valve on a new game and cinematic versions of Valve franchises.
J.J. Abrams isn't making Half-Life 3.
Sitting down with Polygon shortly after the on-stage conversation he had with Valve president Gabe Newell, Abrams said that the game he's in talks with Valve about making will be a completely new entity, with no links to existing Valve properties like Half-Life, Portal or Team Fortress or existing Bad Robot properties.
"We are at early enough stages that I can't talk about it now, but I can't wait to talk about it," Abrams told Polygon. "The opportunity to work with Valve is something I couldn't be more excited about."
While Abrams declined to talk...
"It's as real as anything in Hollywood ever gets," Abrams said of the just-announced plans to develop movies based on Portal and Half-Life. "Which is that we are really talking to Valve, we are going to be bringing on a writer, we have a lot of very interesting ideas."
"And both a Portal and Half-Life movie are things I want to see," Abrams said. "We're also aware of the cautionary tales of movies that became games and vice versa. Our goal here to is to treat the world Valve has created in both these properties like anyone would a book or some great story that comes from a pitch or...
Update: Polygon spoke with J.J. Abrams following his on-stage discussion with Newell. "It's as real as anything in Hollywood ever gets," Abrams said of the just-announced plans to develop movies based on Portal and Half-Life. "Which is that we are really talking to Valve, we are going to be bringing on a writer, we have a lot of very interesting ideas." Read more on the movie project here.
In discussing the game project, Abrams said, "We've had so many meetings and finally got to a point where we said, 'We need to start making stuff.' And so the ideas that we've had for games, the ideas...
- VR headsets replacing standard displays is likely, not insane
- What is Bruce Lee doing in a UFC video game?
- Candy Crush maker King settles trademark disputes with The Banner Saga developer
- Guilty Gear developer Arc System Works teases BloodRayne project
- Trials Fusion - Overview video
- Defense Grid 2 and the refinement of tower defense
- Oculus Rift helps dying woman experience the outside world virtually
- Why Square Enix uses DRM
- Everquest 2's All Access benefits include loot bonuses and loyalty items
- Curses 'N Chaos trailer is goblin-slashing pandemonium