Ubisoft does not plan to repeat the four-year gap between the release of Far Cry 2 and last fall's Far Cry 3 with the next title in the franchise, Ubisoft CEO Yves Guillemot said today during the company's financial earnings call.
"Fans certainly won't have to wait four more years for the next Far Cry," he said.
Guillemot said that Far Cry 3 performed "way better than expected," shipping 4.5 million copies. He stated that Ubisoft partially attributes the game's profitability to the aforementioned four-year gap after the release of Far Cry 2 in 2008. The development team feels they have succeeded in creating a gameplay formula that works and want to build on that knowledge.
Far Cry 3 was released last December for PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and Windows PC, and along with Assassin's Creed 3 helped bring Ubisoft sales up 23 percent from the same fiscal period last year to €802 million ($1.09 billion).
- Games for Change 2014: How gaming can change everything
- Skylanders Trap Team coming Oct. 5 with a new twist and a new portal
- Playing with privilege: the invisible benefits of gaming while male
- How Call of Duty: Ghosts' new Chaos Mode perks will level the playing field
- Is Watch Dogs doing anything original?