Capcom will release 17 high-definition 8-bit titles to its Capcom Arcade Cabinet "platform" on Xbox Live Arcade and PlayStation Network starting this spring, the company announced today.
From Feb. 19 through May 21, Capcom will release the games on a staggered schedule in both three-game bundles and individually. Purchasing all 15 listed games will net buyers two additional games for free, with titles and a release date to be announced at a future time.
The Arcade Cabinet "platform" includes additional features like a music player, DIP switch functionality and music and art libraries. Certain titles support two-player online play, global leaderboards and an infinite-lives training mode. Players will also have the option to play either the original Japanese or international versions of each game.
Both versions of the Arcade Cabinet include in-game capture support. Players on PlayStation 3 will be able to capture and upload video directly to YouTube, while Xbox 360 users can post screenshots to Facebook.
Each three-game bundle costs $9.99 or 800 Microsoft Points, and each individual game costs $3.99 or 320 Microsoft Points. The first game pack costs $4.99 or 400 Microsoft Points:
- Feb. 19: Black Tiger demo (PSN, free); Game Pack 1 - Black Tiger, Avengers 1943: The Battle of Midway (PSN)
- Feb. 20: Black Tiger demo (XBLA, free); Game Pack 1 (XBLA)
- March 5: Game Pack 2 - Ghosts n Goblins, Gun.Smoke, Section Z (PSN,/XBLA); Avengers (PSN); 1943: The Battle of Midway (PSN)
- March 19: Game Pack 3 - Side Arms, Legendary Wings, Trojan (PSN/XBLA); Ghosts n Goblins (PSN/XBLA); Gun.Smoke (PSN/XBLA); Section Z (PSN/XBLA)
- April 2: Game Pack 4 - Commando, The Speed Rumbler, Exed Exes (Savage Bees) (PSN/XBLA); Side Arms (PSN/XBLA); Legendary Wings (PSN/XBLA); Trojan (PSN/XBLA)
- April 16: Game Pack 5 - 1942, SonSon, Pirate Ship Higemaru (PSN/XBLA); Commando (PSN/XBLA); The Speed Runner (PSN/XBLA); Exed Exes (Savage Bees) (PSN/XBLA)
- April 30: 1942 (PSN/XBLA); SonSon (PSN/XBLA); Pirate Ship Higemaru (PSN/XBLA)
- May 21: All-in-One pack containing all games, for $29.99 or 2000 Microsoft Points (PSN/XBLA)
Black Tiger will kick off the Arcade Cabinet releases on Feb. 19. PlayStation 3 users will have unlimited "credits" and can play the game for free, while Xbox 360 players will have one free credit for playing.
- How video games can change the world, one child at a time
- The Elder Scrolls Online review: other people
- Guild Wars 2 review update: the long game
- Tabletop Simulator - Overview video
- Watch Sony's Shuhei Yoshida and Mark Cerny talk all things personal and PlayStation
- The modder who fixed Dark Souls' PC graphics releases Dark Souls 2 mod
- Playing with privilege: the invisible benefits of gaming while male
- A coming compendium to the world's most fascinating and completely fictional history
- Moebius: Empire Rising review: remedial history
- Minecraft Xbox 360 Edition saves will transfer to Xbox One version