While the news is horridly dire, closures are on the smaller end of estimated loses.
The 66 stores consist of 45 stores in England and 21 stores in Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland.
CVG reports a source "close to the matter" said particular stores could reverse their fortunes and may not be shuttered by its administrators, the financial services firm Deloitte and HMV Canada owner Hilco.
HMV posted an apology to its customers and staff on its Facebook page:
"As you may be aware, a number of our stores in the UK have been earmarked for closure. This decision has not been taken lightly and, though very sad and regrettable, it is necessary to give HMV the best possible chance of emerging from administration and having a future on the high street," the post said.
"We'd like to acknowledge the invaluable contribution of affected colleagues, who continue to work with great passion and dedication, and this decision in no way reflects on their considerable efforts on behalf of HMV."
We also sincerely thank our customers in these locations for their valued support over many years, who we hope will continue to shop at HMV," it continued.
Using the hashtag #hmvXFactorFiring HMV employees with access to the official HMV Twitter account live tweeted a HR meeting where a mass firing was underway, according to the Guardian. HMV deleted the tweets but not before the following tweet was sent out:
"Just overheard our Marketing Director (he's staying, folks) ask 'How do I shut down Twitter?'"
The Irish Times confirmed in January that retailer Game may bid up to 45 HMV stores.
- Tales from the Borderlands stars two lying, greedy Pandorians
- TowerFall Ascension review: bowstring symphony
- The final years of Irrational Games, according to those who were there
- Listen to the Blood Marsh theme from Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls
- When a successful game is a failure
- Assassin's Creed Pirates receives second major update
- Why Watch Dogs went into hiding
- Six Pacmen is a musical rendition of a classic game
- Ouya may not be dead, but its long history of stumbles makes success unlikely
- Telltale describes the difficulty of starting over in The Walking Dead Season Two