While Urquhart remains tight-lipped on details, he describes the game as "within the top three pitches [Obsidian has] ever come up with," adding that the studio is interested in exploring eras in the Star Wars universe that remain unexplored.
The studio pitched the title to LucasArts prior to this, set in an era between Episode 3 and Episode 4. Urquhart states the title focused on the fall of the Republic, the extermination of the Jedi and Obi-Wan's search for Luke.
"You have the Sith, but you have the extermination of all Force users except for very, very few. So it was an interesting time to set a game, and you know, Chris Avellone came up with a really cool story," he said.
"We also latched onto it because it has elements people remember, but not the stories. It can just completely not involve [the movies]. It can tease them, but nothing else."
While the LucasArts title never came to be, Obsidian is hoping to pursue this Star Wars project with Disney.
"We haven't [talked with Disney yet]," he adds. "We're kind of waiting for the smoke to clear. But that's one of my next big things to do. To kind of go over there and [get the ball rolling again]."
Disney acquired LucasArts last year as part of a $4 billion acquisition deal that included the purchase of Lucasfilm. While Disney Interactive has scaled back its video game offerings with the shuttering of a number of game development subsidiaries, a LucasArts representative told Polygon "for the time being all projects are business as usual." This includes the currently in-development Star Wars 1313.
- Tales from the Borderlands stars two lying, greedy Pandorians
- TowerFall Ascension review: bowstring symphony
- The final years of Irrational Games, according to those who were there
- Five-hour PSN maintenance scheduled for today
- When a successful game is a failure
- Betrayer exiting Early Access March 24
- Why Watch Dogs went into hiding
- MotoGP 14 heading towards a multi-generation release in June
- Ouya may not be dead, but its long history of stumbles makes success unlikely
- Titanfall live-action adaptation coming
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 5: The where I yet again break the rules
- WTB physical DS2 for PC in US
- Polygon Off-Topic Weekender: We broke 1K! (8-9 March)
- PD Users: Defined at Last! (Humour)
- Cheap Shark for Games?
- Owen Good, joining Polygon as senior reporter, weekends
- Square Goods @PS4 INVITE live 9pm pst
- Contest: Want to go to the Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls launch party on March 24?
- PS4 Now or Wait Till Price Drop & Gaikai?
- The controller: will it get fixed?