"Challenges" during development and "inadequate organizational collaboration" led to Resident Evil 6 performing beneath Capcom's expectations, the company stated in a Q&A accompanying its recent financial earnings report.
Capcom said that while it believes having sold 5 million copies of the game is "proof that [Resident Evil 6] is a popular title," it has not reached a "clear conclusion" regarding its under-performance. The company is looking into potential causes within its internal development and sales divisions, though Capcom places part of the blame on inadequate marketing for the game.
"We believe that the new challenges we tackled at the development stage were unable to sufficiently appeal to users," Capcom wrote. "In addition, we believe there was inadequate organizational collaboration across our entire company with regard to marketing, promotions, the creation of plans and other activities.
"We will have to examine these results from several perspectives," the company added. "We will reexamine our internal operating frameworks in order to identify areas that need to be improved concerning development as well as sales and administrative operations."
During an earnings call with investors earlier this week, Capcom said that despite having "brisk sales" at launch and being a significant contribution to company profits, Resident Evil 6 "lost its momentum" in the following weeks, "resulting in the failure to achieve planned sales and fulfill its role as a driver of sales expansion."
- Games for Change 2014: How gaming can change everything
- Skylanders Trap Team coming Oct. 5 with a new twist and a new portal
- Playing with privilege: the invisible benefits of gaming while male
- How Call of Duty: Ghosts' new Chaos Mode perks will level the playing field
- Is Watch Dogs doing anything original?
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 8: GOLDEN CRISIS
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: What? (Wed 23 April)
- NVIDIA GeForce Titan For Gaming?!
- Changing Posting Name
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Weekend at Polygon's: Party Time (19-20 April)
- Twitch Stream: Titanfall (One Match)
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: 2sday (Tue 22 April)
- Polygon Feast & Fitness Vol. 3
- Darkest Polygon: Lets start a Polygon Dark Souls 2 covenant