The first footage of Wasteland 2, inXile and Obsidian's Kickstarted sequel to the 1988 title, is out now and includes 17 minutes of gameplay, according to the latest Kickstarter update.
The video showcases one of the game's first levels, the agricultural center, which was also part of the original Wasteland. All footage is a straight capture of development director Chris Keenan's gameplay, and the only element missing is sound effects. Keenan explains a number of interface aspects, such as combat and skill setups, character portraits and more.
The video also features a track from Mark Morgan, which is available separately at the bottom of the Kickstarter update, and a "first pass" at radio broadcasting. Broadcasts will play a huge role in setting the game's mood and setting.
"Our goal is to build a very deep combat system, with the potential to dive in and fine-tune your damage-output and tactics."
According to the update, Wasteland 2 is currently "just past the halfway mark," and the final game will include much more.
"Our vision for this game remains intact and you will see a number of examples that illustrate this," the update reads. "The customization can be seen in the examples of bringing in your own portraits and by the ability to set the user interface in a style that works for you ... The demo helps to show off action points, use of cover, enemy view cones, distance/height/enemy size/enemy speed affecting the chance to hit, ammo configurations, attributes changing the characters strengths and role, simultaneous party firing and more."
Wasteland 2's developers will continue to add and tweak elements of the combat system, and everyone is encouraged to voice their opinions.
"Our goal is to build a very deep combat system, with the potential to dive in and fine-tune your damage-output and tactics, while not absolutely requiring that level of micro-management from all players," the update reads.
Wasteland 2 closed its Kickstarter funding in April, 2012, with nearly triple the amount asked. The game is expected to release sometime in the fall.
- Link, F-Zero and Animal Crossing are coming to Mario Kart 8 as DLC
- The Walking Dead Season 2 Finale review: can't go home again
- If you thought Dark Souls was hard, try Titan Souls
- Lindsay Lohan lawsuit against GTA 5 publisher was 'for publicity,' says court documents
- The Pokemon fighting game won't play like Tekken (or feature Tekken characters)
- Got a great deal at GamesRepublic.com
- Favorite "Bad" Game
- Polygon must change its ethics policy.
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17 - Heart Containers
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Tue Aug 26
- On Patreon support
- Anime You Might Not Have Tried/Heard of #9
- Pokémon Discussions: Summer into Fall
- DDoS and QoS
- Why Pokkén Tournament is the best thing to happen to the Pokémon franchise for over a decade