"We'll eventually get around to expanding the city size," said Quigley, although he cautioned that he could not give a specific time frame for that change.
Maxis placed a limit of four square kilometers on city size for performance considerations, said Quigley — that size was "the performance constraint [the studio] decided to work under" in order to ensure SimCity could run on computers with a wide variety of hardware specifications.
"We need to keep in mind that SimCity is a mainstream game," Quigley explained. "It's not a game that is only going to run on high-end gaming PCs; it has to run in your dad's PC as well."
SimCity launches March 5 on Windows PC and will be available on Mac OS X this spring.
- Polygon Daily Open Thread: Dancing Plante - Thu Aug 28
- Favorite "Bad" Game
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17.1 - Woady call me kōhai!
- On Patreon support
- Polynauts Fantasy Football League
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Wed Aug 27
- Pokémon Discussions: Summer into Fall
- Spacecom is 4X strategy, and you can grab beta keys here
- Where to buy?
- Polygon must change its ethics policy.