A Danish news channel mistakenly used a photo of the Damascus skyline from Assassin's Creed as part of a report about Syria, Times of Israel reports.
The image ran in the background when the show aired on TV2 Feb. 26. A channel employee reportedly found the picture online and mistook it for the real skyline in Damascus, one of the locations featured prominently in the first Assassin's Creed game.
You can watch the original video on TV2's website. Assassin's Creed makes its appearance at the 0:16 mark. The channel's head of news, Jacob Nybroe, called the mix-up a "reminder to us all of the importance of verifying the sources of pictures."
In 2011, a documentary produced by U.K. TV network ITV made a similar error. The documentary mistook a scene from Arma 2, where the Irish Republican Army shoots down a British helicopter, as a real occurrence.
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: Where's Polygon? (Tue 15 Apr)
- Getting a PS4
- What characters would you guys like to see on the new Super Smash Bros?
- XBOne Classifieds
- Polygon Connect: The Great "Gamertag/PSN ID/Whatever" Roundup
- Gamertag Hook-Ups
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol.2, No.7: Warai, Warai!
- Post your Polygon Daily/Weekender headers here (April 2014)
- I have 1 dribbble invite