Star Wars: First Assault, an unreleased game whose Xbox Live Arcade artwork was discovered on Xbox.com last October, is a 16-person first-person shooter and a precursor to Star Wars: Battlefront 3, a source tells Kotaku.
According to the source, the downloadable game's success would be "step zero" in developing a future installment in the Battlefront franchise, which put players in the middle of massive battles in the Star Wars universe. Star Wars: First Assault was originally slated for release this spring, the source said, but delayed because of Disney's acquisition of Lucasfilm and the Star Wars franchise. According to Kotaku's source, the new game would start Battlefront from scratch, using the engine developed for Star Wars: First Assault.
In May 2012, Free Radical Design co-founder David Doak said that Star Wars: Battlefront 3 had been in development from mid-2006 to early 2008 but was canceled by LucasArts executives who found the project too costly. In June, an hour-long clip said to be an alpha build of the game was released online.
We've reached out to LucasArts for comment and will update this article with more information as it becomes available. You can read Kotaku's full report, which includes purported screenshots from the unreleased FPS, here.
- PD Users: Defined at Last! (Humour)
- More Pokémon Discussions: Redux
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: Do Polynauts dream of analog sheep? (Fri 7 Mar)
- Contest: Want to go to the Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls launch party on March 24?
- Post your Polygon Daily/Weekender headers here (March 2014)
- When Gameplay coincides with the story
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 5: The where I yet again break the rules
- Dracul: Now not a Dick
- Welcome to the Polygon Community!
- Which FPS are you most looking forward to in 2014?