Game designer Ron Gilbert, best known for his work on the Monkey Island series and Maniac Mansion, announced he's leaving Double Fine Productions now that work on his adventure game The Cave is complete.
In a post on Gilbert's website, Grumpy Gamer, he writes "it's time for me to move on from Double Fine and plot my next move." It would appear that next move is still within the realm of gaming, as Gilbert notes, "So many games left to be designed."
Gilbert writes that he's been "toiling away" on a side project for iOS with animator and designer Clayton Kauzlaric, a title he refers to as Scurvy Scallywags in The Voyage to Discover the Ultimate Sea Shanty: A Musical Match-3 Pirate RPG.
"I want to thank all the amazing people at Double Fine for all their hard work on The Cave," he writes. "It was a true pleasure to work with every one of them over the past two years. So much fun. I will miss them all. And of course to Tim for creating the opportunity to come there and make The Cave."
Gilbert joined the Tim Schafer-led Double Fine Productions in 2010. The two game designers had previously worked together at LucasArts on titles like Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge and Day of the Tentacle.
"Good luck, Ron!" Schafer tweeted following the news. "Thanks for The Cave!" Double Fine did not have an official comment on Gilbert's departure.
- Watch what Grand Theft Auto 4's killer PC mod does for its original trailer
- The man who made Atari's E.T. names his worst video game of all time
- GOG.com accidentally gives away thousands of games
- Game of Thrones' Maisie Williams in talks for The Last of Us movie
- Wii version of Skylanders Trap Team bundled with Wii U download code
More from Polygon
- Weekend at Polygon's: Open Thread - July 26-27
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.2: Silent Crusaders
- Tell Us Your Story
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- What Last-Gen Game Do You Want Remade For Next-Gen?
- Women in Games: A Reaction
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Fri July 25
- DESTINY disappointment?