Game designer Ron Gilbert, best known for his work on the Monkey Island series and Maniac Mansion, announced he's leaving Double Fine Productions now that work on his adventure game The Cave is complete.
In a post on Gilbert's website, Grumpy Gamer, he writes "it's time for me to move on from Double Fine and plot my next move." It would appear that next move is still within the realm of gaming, as Gilbert notes, "So many games left to be designed."
Gilbert writes that he's been "toiling away" on a side project for iOS with animator and designer Clayton Kauzlaric, a title he refers to as Scurvy Scallywags in The Voyage to Discover the Ultimate Sea Shanty: A Musical Match-3 Pirate RPG.
"I want to thank all the amazing people at Double Fine for all their hard work on The Cave," he writes. "It was a true pleasure to work with every one of them over the past two years. So much fun. I will miss them all. And of course to Tim for creating the opportunity to come there and make The Cave."
Gilbert joined the Tim Schafer-led Double Fine Productions in 2010. The two game designers had previously worked together at LucasArts on titles like Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge and Day of the Tentacle.
"Good luck, Ron!" Schafer tweeted following the news. "Thanks for The Cave!" Double Fine did not have an official comment on Gilbert's departure.
- The Last of Us had an epilogue that Naughty Dog cut, and here it is
- Why I'm in love with this sweet game about a little girl in Alaska
- The days of owning games are coming to an end
- The nightmare is over: They're not coming for your games
- Sherlock Holmes shooting at Watson is just the beginning of this 25 minute gameplay trailer
More from Polygon
- LOVE PROBLEM SOLUTION BABA JI +91-8437760034
- MAHA VASHIKARAN SPECIALIST BABA JI +91-8437760034
- GET YOUR LOST LOVE BACK BY BLACK MAGIC +91-8437760034
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Wed July 30
- What games on the Hype Train exceeded your expectations?
- What's the deal with DS2: Sunken Crown walkthrough?
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Tue July 29
- Xbox One Update Beta Invites
- Infamous Second Son: 2.5/5 For Me!
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.2: Silent Crusaders