A U.S. release of a special edition Nintendo 3DS XL bearing Pikachu's likeness appears imminent, based on a handful of teases from Nintendo of America.
Nintendo began hinting at the release of the bright yellow 3DS XL in a recently released commercial for Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity, which hits North America on March 24. The official Pokémon Twitter account offered its own tease today, posting an image of the famous Pokémon and writing, "We've got some exciting news for Pikachu fans coming up tomorrow!"
The news may have been spoiled at retail, however, as a member of the CheapAssGamer forums posted a photo of a shipment of the 3DS XL, claiming a March 24 release date.
Polygon has reached out to Nintendo seeking specifics on the Pokémon-styled 3DS XL.
The limited edition handheld was first released at Pokemon Centers in Japan in early 2012, arriving in Europe months later.
For a look at the Pikachu yellow Nintendo 3DS XL, watch the below commercial for a cameo appearance.
Update: Nintendo has confirmed the Pikachu yellow 3DS XL will be available in North America on March 24 alongside the release of Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity. The handheld will cost $199.99 and comes packaged with a 4 GB SD memory card.
Players who purchase a 3DS XL and either Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity or Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon between March 21 and April 30 will be given a free download code for one of five 3DS eShop titles: Art Academy: Lessons for Everyone, Freakyforms Deluxe: Your Creations, Alive, Super Mario 3D Land, Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask or Star Fox 64 3D.
- Polygon Daily Open Thread: Personable - Mon Sep 1
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17.1 - Woady call me kōhai!
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Pokémon Discussions: Summer into Fall
- Editorial idea for Polygon
- Weekend at Polygon's: Open Thread - Aug 30-31
- Reconsidering Columbine
- What Have You Been Reading? (September 2014)
- What is your Current Game of the Year?
- Post your Weekend at Polygon/Daily headers here (September 2014)