Wii U owners will require an external hard drive for the console before downloading the digital version of Lego City Undercover from the Wii U eShop, Nintendo warns on the official website for the game.
"An external hard drive is required to download this software," reads a notice from the publisher. "Visit support.nintendo.com for information about storage options."
While Nintendo previously revealed the 8GB Wii U console model includes only 3GB of free space after installing the necessary system software, it is reported Lego City Undercover takes up roughly 22GB. The premium 3GB Wii U model offers 25GB of free space, on the other hand, suggesting it may be possible to download the title onto the system if no other software is installed.
Polygon has contacted Nintendo regarding the exact size of Lego City Undercover and whether an external hard drive will be required for both Wii U models regardless.
Update: Nintendo of America offered the following comment on the hard drive requirement for Lego City Undercover for Wii U.
Lego City Undercover is a giant, streaming, open-world city. The game features fully voiced characters, numerous missions, huge sub-levels and interactive details, making it one of the most robust games on Wii U. Users who want to expand the storage capacity of their Wii U systems to download the game can utilize an external hard drive, which allows them to customize the amount of space they have for this and future game downloads from the Nintendo eShop. All retail disc-based versions of Lego City Undercover will work on any Wii U console without the need for an external hard drive.
- No skin thick enough: The daily harassment of women in the game industry
- The studio that made Tony Hawk's Pro Skater closed, here's its billion-dollar story
- Dark Souls 2: Crown of the Sunken King review: return of the king
- How the Model T convinced Nvidia to build a gaming-focused tablet
- Kickstarter suspends Ex-STALKER devs' Areal campaign, West Games turns to direct funding
More from Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Tue July 22
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.1: Silent Crusaders
- A game inspired by psone graphics
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today
- Deals With Gold Weekly(?) Update
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Destiny Beta
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Mon July 22
- Xbox One Spare Beta Code