Wii U owners will require an external hard drive for the console before downloading the digital version of Lego City Undercover from the Wii U eShop, Nintendo warns on the official website for the game.
"An external hard drive is required to download this software," reads a notice from the publisher. "Visit support.nintendo.com for information about storage options."
While Nintendo previously revealed the 8GB Wii U console model includes only 3GB of free space after installing the necessary system software, it is reported Lego City Undercover takes up roughly 22GB. The premium 3GB Wii U model offers 25GB of free space, on the other hand, suggesting it may be possible to download the title onto the system if no other software is installed.
Polygon has contacted Nintendo regarding the exact size of Lego City Undercover and whether an external hard drive will be required for both Wii U models regardless.
Update: Nintendo of America offered the following comment on the hard drive requirement for Lego City Undercover for Wii U.
Lego City Undercover is a giant, streaming, open-world city. The game features fully voiced characters, numerous missions, huge sub-levels and interactive details, making it one of the most robust games on Wii U. Users who want to expand the storage capacity of their Wii U systems to download the game can utilize an external hard drive, which allows them to customize the amount of space they have for this and future game downloads from the Nintendo eShop. All retail disc-based versions of Lego City Undercover will work on any Wii U console without the need for an external hard drive.
- What does it really cost to open an indie studio? All your money, most of your life
- Police: San Diego Comic-Con cosplayer wasn't assaulted, she fell
- Visit Africa's first refugee-owned arcade with NPR
- How to destroy your enemies as the Monster in Evolve
- How to play Final Fantasy 14: A Realm Reborn for free
More from Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Fri Aug 1
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.3: Summer Crusaders
- Xbox One Update Beta Invites
- Rock1m1's review on Wolfenstein: The New Order
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Thu July 31
- Hi, nice to meet you.
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Infamous Second Son: 2.5/5 For Me!
- Tell Us Your Story
- RIP Friends List?