Saints Row 4 will launch on Aug. 20 in North America and worldwide on Aug. 23, Deep Silver announced today alongside the title's debut trailer.
"Deep Silver and Volition present the climactic chapter of the saga that changed all the rules and blew the minds of a generation," reads text flashing throughout the trailer. Viewers will get a first look at the explosive, slapstick violence of the next saga in the Saints Row series, including guitars that double as guns and a gratuitous amount of skimpily-clad characters.
Saints Row 4 will launch on current-generation consoles and Windows PC.
According to the official Facebook page for the title, the head of the Saints has been elected President of the United States, leading the charge against an alien force in a struggle to save humanity. Players will "wield gargantuan superpowers" and have an "arsenal of alien weaponry and technology" at their disposal, as well as the ability to leap buildings, outrun enemies and use telekinesis.
The page also refers to the developer as "Deep Silver Volition."
Last August publisher THQ announced that a planned expansion for Saints Row 3, Enter the Dominatrix, would be cancelled and its content rolled into the next franchise title, Saints Row 4.
Deep Silver parent company Koch Media purchased Saints Row developer Volition during the auction to liquidate publisher THQ's assets, buying the company for $22.3 million. Shortly after it was announced the Deep Silver would head development on the franchise.
Deep Silver and Volition will be discussing Saints Row 4 in a presentation next week at PAX East in Boston, Mass..
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: Do Polynauts dream of analog sheep? (Fri 7 Mar)
- Is there anyone who doesnt like Titanfall?
- More Pokémon Discussions: Redux
- PD Users: Defined at Last! (Humour)
- Contest: Want to go to the Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls launch party on March 24?
- Post your Polygon Daily/Weekender headers here (March 2014)
- When Gameplay coincides with the story
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 5: The where I yet again break the rules
- Dracul: Now not a Dick
- Welcome to the Polygon Community!