Mage's Initiation, a crowdfunded game inspired by Sierra On-Line's old-school adventure games like King's Quest, received a downloadable public demo today, with just a week left in its Kickstarter campaign.
The demo represents an early alpha stage of development and was released "to gather feedback and suggestions about the interface and combat system so that we can refine these aspects for the final game," according to an update posted today on the game's Kickstarter blog.
As of this writing, Himalaya Studios Development has gathered pledges of $89,744, well in excess of the initial $65,000 Kickstarter goal. If the project reaches $95,000, the developers will add four new quests, one for each character in the game. Crossing the $75,000 and $80,000 stretch goals already bought Undead Skeletons and Spider Swarms as fightable enemies and "the dreaded fish-faced Cassipoisse" and Wasteland Bandits to the game.
You can download the Windows PC demo from within the recent blog post. If you like what you see, a pledge of $16 will net you a DRM-free copy of the game at its estimated Feb. 2014 release. If you've have any questions for the Himalaya Studios Development team, you'll be able to find them on a Reddit AMA that begins tomorrow, March 16, at 1 p.m. ET.
- Win a trip to California and one-day design apprenticeship on Sunset Overdrive!
- GTA 4 now looks as good as GTA 5 — if you have a PC
- Notorious Airbnb squatter may be the dev behind two flailing Kickstarter games
- It takes 40 minutes to drive across country in The Crew, watch it happen right here
- The Nic Cage-led Superman movie was delightfully bizarre, and doomed