Inspired by Mike Mika's recent Donkey Kong hack for his daughter, hobbyist animator Kenna W. created a modded version of The Legend of Zelda that stars the titular princess herself.
Kenna detailed the three-day project on her blog. Much of the work was done by editing the game's sprites.
"For me, I played my first Zelda game when I was pretty young, and at the time, I thought the game did star Princess Zelda," Kenna wrote. "I figured I'd get to play as a magical battle princess that saved her kingdom. The game was fun, but I was bummed out that I never got to play as Zelda."
Kenna also shared the patch download on her site for others to enjoy. You can watch Zelda battle her way through Hyrule to save Link in the video above.
More from Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Tue July 22
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.1: Silent Crusaders
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today
- What's your favorite silly game?
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Thoughts on Destiny
- Yakuza 5 (Ryū ga Gotoku 5) Fan Translation Gone?
- Standby Or Off On PS4
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Mon July 22