Inspired by Mike Mika's recent Donkey Kong hack for his daughter, hobbyist animator Kenna W. created a modded version of The Legend of Zelda that stars the titular princess herself.
Kenna detailed the three-day project on her blog. Much of the work was done by editing the game's sprites.
"For me, I played my first Zelda game when I was pretty young, and at the time, I thought the game did star Princess Zelda," Kenna wrote. "I figured I'd get to play as a magical battle princess that saved her kingdom. The game was fun, but I was bummed out that I never got to play as Zelda."
Kenna also shared the patch download on her site for others to enjoy. You can watch Zelda battle her way through Hyrule to save Link in the video above.
- PD Users: Defined at Last! (Humour)
- When Gameplay coincides with the story
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: Do Polynauts dream of analog sheep? (Fri 7 Mar)
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 5: The where I yet again break the rules
- Dracul: Now not a Dick
- Contest: Want to go to the Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls launch party on March 24?
- Welcome to the Polygon Community!
- Which FPS are you most looking forward to in 2014?
- Owen Good, joining Polygon as senior reporter, weekends
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: 100% Complete (Thu 6 Mar)