Creative director Jean-Maxime Moris told the Penny Arcade Report that Dontnod didn't decide to make Remember Me's hero, Nilin, a woman so much as the protagonist just "felt right" as a female character.
"It's one of those things that we never looked at from a pure, cold marketing perspective because that would have endangered the consistency of the whole game," said Moris, explaining that Remember Me and its world were built from the beginning to support a female protagonist.
When Dontnod started showing Remember Me to publishers, some of them refused to publish the title simply because people would playing as a woman in it, and because that could reduce the game's sales potential.
"We had some [companies] that said, 'Well, we don't want to publish it because that's not going to succeed. You can't have a female character in games. It has to be a male character, simple as that,'" said Moris.
"If you think like that, there's no way the medium's going to mature"
Moris has a higher estimation of players' sensibilities, and higher hopes for the medium of video games. He and Dontnod told those companies, "If you think like that, there's no way the medium's going to mature." The Last of Us developer Naughty Dog also refused to back down when asked to push the game's female lead, Ellie, to the back of the cover.
Remember Me, which is being published by Capcom, is set for release on June 4 on PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and Windows PC.
- No skin thick enough: The daily harassment of women in the game industry
- The studio that made Tony Hawk's Pro Skater closed, here's its billion-dollar story
- Dark Souls 2: Crown of the Sunken King review: return of the king
- How the Model T convinced Nvidia to build a gaming-focused tablet
- Fan-made Smash Bros. has better characters
More from Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Tue July 22
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.1: Silent Crusaders
- Deals With Gold Weekly(?) Update
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today
- What's your favorite silly game?
- What worlds will we explore in Destiny?
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Thoughts on Destiny
- Yakuza 5 (Ryū ga Gotoku 5) Fan Translation Gone?