Creative director Jean-Maxime Moris told the Penny Arcade Report that Dontnod didn't decide to make Remember Me's hero, Nilin, a woman so much as the protagonist just "felt right" as a female character.
"It's one of those things that we never looked at from a pure, cold marketing perspective because that would have endangered the consistency of the whole game," said Moris, explaining that Remember Me and its world were built from the beginning to support a female protagonist.
When Dontnod started showing Remember Me to publishers, some of them refused to publish the title simply because people would playing as a woman in it, and because that could reduce the game's sales potential.
"We had some [companies] that said, 'Well, we don't want to publish it because that's not going to succeed. You can't have a female character in games. It has to be a male character, simple as that,'" said Moris.
"If you think like that, there's no way the medium's going to mature"
Moris has a higher estimation of players' sensibilities, and higher hopes for the medium of video games. He and Dontnod told those companies, "If you think like that, there's no way the medium's going to mature." The Last of Us developer Naughty Dog also refused to back down when asked to push the game's female lead, Ellie, to the back of the cover.
Remember Me, which is being published by Capcom, is set for release on June 4 on PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and Windows PC.
- TowerFall Ascension review: bowstring symphony
- The final years of Irrational Games, according to those who were there
- Ouya may not be dead, but its long history of stumbles makes success unlikely
- When a successful game is a failure
- How the E.T. documentary chronicles the birth of the unsatisfied game consumer
- Report: R.B.I. Baseball 14 to launch on April 10
- Why Watch Dogs went into hiding
- The Besties: The Best Games of February 2014
- Prepare to run Dark Souls 2 with the PC version's system requirements
- Goofball Goals - Overview video
- Polygon Off-Topic Weekender: We broke 1K! (8-9 March)
- More Pokémon Discussions: Redux
- When Gameplay coincides with the story
- Battlefield 4 forum?
- Dracul: Now not a Dick
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: Do Polynauts dream of analog sheep? (Fri 7 Mar)
- XBOne Classifieds
- Is there anyone who doesnt like Titanfall?
- PD Users: Defined at Last! (Humour)
- Contest: Want to go to the Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls launch party on March 24?