Over $100 million has been pledged to Kickstarter's games category, the crowdfunding site revealed.
Since the site's launch four years ago, more than 633,242 backers have pledged to over 4,500 Games projects, nearly 1,000 of these were pledged to in the last year.
In total, the Kickstarter community has pledged $107.6 million to games, while 1,476 of these proved to successfully hit their funding target. Most of the total dollars pledged come in the wake of the successful Double Fine Adventure. In 2012, Kickstarter accumulated $83,144,565 pledges in its games category; Just one year before, pledges totalled $3,855,692. Since the start of 2013, pledges to games have reaches $22,423,264 and rising.
Take a look at our in-depth report on the soaring successes, surprise endings and abject failures of crowdfunding for an additional statistical break-down of last year, which looks at what happens to games once they leave the Kickstarter campaigning process.
- What does it really cost to open an indie studio? All your money, most of your life
- Police: San Diego Comic-Con cosplayer wasn't assaulted, she fell
- ABC just launched history's biggest, most well-funded LARP
- How to destroy your enemies as the Monster in Evolve
- Visit Africa's first refugee-owned arcade with NPR