Developers who have purchased the Oculusdevelopment kit will receive an Oculus-ready version of Epic Games' Development Kit (UDK) for free, Oculus VR, Inc. announced today.
In addition, an Oculus-UE3 integration code will be given toEngine 3 full source licensees for free.
Beginning the first week of April, the Oculus-ready version of UDK will be available from the Oculus Developer Center and will include the Epic Citadel tech demo.
"Developers have used Unreal Engine technology to create some of the most memorable games in history," said Tim Sweeney, founder and CEO of Epic Games. "We view virtual reality as a massive technological step forward, and are arming all developers with the tools to create game experiences that represent the future. Our partnership with Oculus will bring the highest quality experiences to virtual reality games."
"We've said from the start that independent developers were as important to us as AAA developers," said Brendan Iribe, CEO of Oculus.
The company is a recent inductee to Epic's UE3 Integrated Partners Program (IPP) and states that Epic Games were collaborators to improve and optimize UE3 integration since the launch of Oculus' Kickstarter campaign.
"The Unreal Engine and UDK have proven time and again that they are premiere engines for all game developers.," Iribe says. "Our relationship with Epic shows our commitment to give every developer the chance to create the next amazing game experience."
The Oculus Rift begins shipping to backers at the end of March, 2013. The development kit was meant to launch with Doom 3 BFG Edition; however, buyers were notified last week that 3 won't have Rift support by the ship date.
- Playing with privilege: the invisible benefits of gaming while male
- Why a deal between Netflix and Comcast matters to gamers
- Moebius: Empire Rising review: remedial history
- Persona 4 Arena Ultimax will include story DLC, RPG-like arena mode
- Investors put up millions for a virtual reality treadmill and now it could come to consoles
- Minecraft Realms now available in North America
- Metal Gear Ground Zeroes platform-exclusive missions go multiplatform in Japan May 1
- Skylanders Trap Team coming Oct. 5 with a new twist and a new portal
- Mario Kart 8 Wii U bundle, Peach and Yoshi Wii Remotes hitting Europe May 30
- Is Watch Dogs doing anything original?