Square Enix President and CEO Yoichi Wada is resigning, according to a recent statement from the company.
Wada will be replaced by current representative director Yosuke Matsuda, making this one of the company's first major steps toward "management reform." The decision will be subject to a resolution during the company's general meeting of shareholders this June, then later by a resolution from its board of directors.
This follows the publisher's release of consolidated results forecast which revealed its expectations of an "extraordinary loss" in the fiscal year ending March 31, 2013. Square Enix announced today its plans to begin major restructuring throughout, which is expected to result in a loss of roughly 10 billion yen (or just over $105 million) for the fiscal year ending March 31, 2013.
Polygon has contacted Square Enix and will update this post when further information is made available.
Update: Square Enix has announced Phil Rogers will be nominated as a director candidate. This will be subject to resolutions held by the company's annual general meeting of shareholders in late June of this year. Rogers was previously CEO of Eidos, which was purchased by Square Enix in 2009.
Yosuke Matsuda will also be selecting additional board members.
- No skin thick enough: The daily harassment of women in the game industry
- The studio that made Tony Hawk's Pro Skater closed, here's its billion-dollar story
- Dark Souls 2: Crown of the Sunken King review: return of the king
- How the Model T convinced Nvidia to build a gaming-focused tablet
- This is what the sheer intensity of an official Pokemon championship tournament looks like
More from Polygon
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.1: Silent Crusaders
- DESTINY disappointment?
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Wed July 23
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Tue July 22
- Women in Games: A Reaction
- Do you often read the reviews after finishing a game?
- Deals With Gold Weekly(?) Update
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward