"The fun-dead world of Plants vs. Zombies is expanding with endless waves of new characters, strategies, territories, and community challenges," said PopCap.
The studio will be running a beta for Plants vs. Zombies Adventures and is inviting fans to Like its Facebook page for a chance at beta access. PopCap clarified on Twitter that Adventures is a separate game from Plants vs. Zombies 2, the upcoming sequel to Plants vs. Zombies that the company announced last August for a late spring release. Plants vs. Zombies 2, said PopCap, is "still coming."
We've reached out to PopCap for more details and will update this article with any information we receive.
Update: PopCap is starting with a "limited, regional launch" for the Plants vs. Zombies Adventures beta, and will open up access "later this spring," according to a press release the company provided to Polygon.
The studio calls Adventures "the first of several new adaptations of the hit franchise coming to consumers in the next year."
Adventures is "the first of several new Plants vs. Zombies adaptations"
"Plants vs. Zombies Adventures is a highly accessible, zombie-zapping adaptation of the original game designed specifically for Facebook," wrote Curt Bererton, studio head for Adventures developer PopCap San Francisco. "We like to think we're creating a brand new twist on the classic Plants vs. Zombies that is the most social, shareable and expansive Plants vs. Zombies experience ever."
Plants vs. Zombies Adventures will present players with in-game road trips, sending them around to stop the zombie outbreak in different locations. The game will also let players send zombie hordes to their Facebook friends and compete with them on leaderboards. Adventures will offer new types of plants and zombies, as well as new ways of putting up plant defenses.
PopCap also announced a slight delay for Plants vs. Zombies 2. When the studio announced the game, it said that it planned to launch the zombie-killing strategy sequel in late spring 2013; today, the company said that the game will be available in "early summer."
Check out the first Plants vs. Zombies Adventures screenshot below.
- TowerFall Ascension review: bowstring symphony
- The final years of Irrational Games, according to those who were there
- When a successful game is a failure
- Report: Xbox Live could feature targeted political ads
- Why Watch Dogs went into hiding
- Marvel: Avengers Alliance adding Winter Soldier, Guardians of the Galaxy content
- Titanfall Arcade adds a Titan touch to retro Atari games
- Mugen Souls Z heading to North America May 20
- Ouya may not be dead, but its long history of stumbles makes success unlikely
- EA's CEO on the company's plans for virtual reality