Metal Gear Solid 5 director Hideo Kojima announced during a talk at the 2013 Game Developers Conference today that the upcoming title contains both the previously announced games Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes and The Phantom Pain. Shortly afterward, Hayter tweeted, "Well look, at least I had a good run."
Hayter did not mention the game or the Metal Gear Solid franchise by name, but when asked by a fan, "Did they even ask you to do it," Hayter replied, "Nope."
Hayter, who is also a scriptwriter and screen actor, has voiced Solid Snake and Naked Snake (aka Big Boss) in all the console and handheld Metal Gear Solid titles from the original Metal Gear Solid in 1998 through 2010's Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker.
While Metal Gear Solid 5 may not feature Hayter, it does appear to boast the voice talents of Kiefer Sutherland as Ishmael, the character who tells you that he's been watching over you while you've been in a coma for nine years.
We've reached out to Konami for comment, and will update this article with any information we receive.
Update: According to a tweet from Geoff Keighley, Hideo Kojima confirmed that David Hayter would not make an appearance in Metal Gear Solid 5.
More from Polygon
- Share Button Use? Can you post to another service other than FaceBook?
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Fri Aug 1
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.3: Summer Crusaders
- Infamous Second Son: 2.5/5 For Me!
- Pokémon Discussions: Summer into Fall
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Frames Per Second FPS?? How to tell 60 vs 30?
- Post your Weekend at Polygon/Daily headers here (July 2014)
- Hi, nice to meet you.
- What games on the Hype Train exceeded your expectations?