"In the last two weeks, we've launched two games that had season passes, both for $20 each — BioShock Infinite and Gears of War: Judgment," said GameStop president Tony Bartel. "And both of those, we sold DLC to more than a third of all the people that bought it at midnight and on the day of launch."
Gears of War: Judgment launched March 19 on Xbox 360, while BioShock Infinite came out March 26 on Windows PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360. Judgment's season pass grants players permanent double XP, as well as access to upcoming maps, modes and other content. The season pass for BioShock Infinite offers a discount on three upcoming pieces of story content as well as new characters, weapons and skills.
"That's a key example of what happens when GameStop gets behind a launch," Bartel added.
- The Last of Us had an epilogue that Naughty Dog cut, and here it is
- You can pre-order this beautiful $365 Metroid statue starting today
- The days of owning games are coming to an end
- The nightmare is over: They're not coming for your games
- Sherlock Holmes shooting at Watson is just the beginning of this 25 minute gameplay trailer
More from Polygon
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.2: Silent Crusaders
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Tue July 29
- What games on the Hype Train exceeded your expectations?
- What's your favorite silly game?
- RIP Friends List?
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Mon July 28
- Tell Us Your Story
- Infamous Second Son: 2.5/5 For Me!
- What's the deal with DS2: Sunken Crown walkthrough?
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming