"We right now don't have support for the Wii U in the Frostbite engine," said Bach, explaining that "we don't want to back down from what we see as our low-spec machines."
Those "low-spec machines" are the main current-generation consoles, the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360. Battlefield 4's lead development platform is Windows PC, according to Bach, and the game will also be available on PlayStation 4.
"We don't want to ship different games dependent on the platform," said Tobias Dahl, producer of Battlefield 4's single-player campaign. "We need to set the limit somewhere, to have the lowest spec for this title." Bach added that if DICE were going to make a Wii U title, it would want to use the system's unique hardware capabilities, such as its GamePad tablet controller.
"We could probably make a Wii U game in theory," said Bach. But in presenting a hypothetical PlayStation Vita version of Battlefield 4, he pointed out, "What would that game be? Is it something we could scale down from what you saw in the gameplay video, or would it have to be a complete redesign of the whole game?"
Bach continued, "It's about, where do you put your focus? And the Wii U is not a part of our focus right now."
"the Wii U is not a part of our focus right now"
The Frostbite 3 engine will serve as the framework for a number of Electronic Arts' next-generation titles. That includes Dragon Age 3: Inquisition and the upcoming Mass Effect title that is in development at BioWare Montreal, said Aaryn Flynn, general manager of that studio and BioWare Edmonton, on Twitter this week. EA has not announced Wii U versions of either of those games, or of any of its future titles.
Unreal Engine 4 is also being touted as "next-generation technology," and its creator, Epic Games, also isn't supporting Wii U. Mark Rein, Epic's vice president, said on Twitter that "UE4 [Unreal Engine 4] isn't supporting WiiU, Xbox 360 or PS3 - see our awesome UE3 [Unreal Engine 3] engine for those platforms [sic]."
- How a video game helped save my sanity
- Dragon Quest Heroes brings the series back to PlayStation in Dynasty Warriors style
- The New Nintendo 3DS is everything fun, exhausting, about Nintendo's strategy
- Persona 5 coming to PS3 and PS4 in 2015
- Disgaea 5, Earth Defense Force, Ys, Gundam and Senran Kagura coming to PS4
- Themes are coming to PlayStation 4 and PS Vita
- Resident Evil Revelations 2 coming 'early 2015'
- Nintendo reveals the New Nintendo 3DS
- Bloodborne comes to PS4 on Feb. 5
- Help Nipah build a PC
- Polygon Daily Open Thread: Personable - Mon Sep 1
- Post your Weekend at Polygon/Daily headers here (September 2014)
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17.1 - Woady call me kōhai!
- Good graphics cards for £80-110?
- Help Nipah build a PC
- On Being A "Gamer"
- Weekend at Polygon's: Open Thread - Aug 30-31
- Reconsidering Columbine
- Woady Reviews Anime: Bleach the Movie: Hell Verse
- What is your Current Game of the Year?