The newly-added Isle of Thunder includes area-specific daily quests and allows players to choose between player-versus-player or player-versus-environment combat participation once they arrive on the island beach. Players can work in teams to unlock the island together or take part in solo Scenarios for different rewards and goods.
The update adds new Ritual Stones that can be combined and used to summon bosses designed for battle with five players, as well as new rare spawning bosses that will drop loot as well as the aforementioned stones. These stones can also be found in Rare Chests, which will each respawn once a week. Players who find a special key will be given a five-minute time limit to raid the Troves of the Thunder King, forcing them to race against the clock and overcome various obstacles for a chance to claim rare loot and armor.
The update also includes a new world boss and a separate island area, the Isle of Giants. The Isle includes new creatures to capture and tame, including the sparkling devilsaur Oondasta. Conquering the Isle of Thunder will bring the world boss Nalak the Storm Lord, guardian of the Thunder King's gates, onto the battlefield for players to test their mettle against.
Players at level 90 and above can access the Isle of Thunder by going to the Vale of Eternal Blossoms, where they will receive the "Thunder Calls" quest. From there they will head to the Townlong Steppes area and the Shado-Pan Garrison, where they'll be pointed towards the island. Flying to the island is an option, though players will have to contend with airborn enemies, and a portal will open between the island and Shado-pan.
The Thunder King is set to hit Mists of Pandaria soon, and the patch is currently in open beta.
- The Last of Us review update: Remastered on PS4
- Accused Airbnb squatter: 'Would squat again'
- The 'Mad Max: Fury Road' trailer is the most impressive thing to come out of Comic-Con
- San Diego Comic-Con 2014: All the news from pop culture's biggest event
- What do Shakespeare and The Last of Us movie have in common?
- Lucy Lawless: New Wonder Woman looks like 'Xena meets Spartacus'
- Shadowrun Returns gets a Director's Cut of its expansion this September
- The best new video game toys from Comic-Con
- Battlefield Hardline's single-player tells the story of a good cop framed
- The next Mass Effect will see the return of the Mako, focus on exploration