The newly-added Isle of Thunder includes area-specific daily quests and allows players to choose between player-versus-player or player-versus-environment combat participation once they arrive on the island beach. Players can work in teams to unlock the island together or take part in solo Scenarios for different rewards and goods.
The update adds new Ritual Stones that can be combined and used to summon bosses designed for battle with five players, as well as new rare spawning bosses that will drop loot as well as the aforementioned stones. These stones can also be found in Rare Chests, which will each respawn once a week. Players who find a special key will be given a five-minute time limit to raid the Troves of the Thunder King, forcing them to race against the clock and overcome various obstacles for a chance to claim rare loot and armor.
The update also includes a new world boss and a separate island area, the Isle of Giants. The Isle includes new creatures to capture and tame, including the sparkling devilsaur Oondasta. Conquering the Isle of Thunder will bring the world boss Nalak the Storm Lord, guardian of the Thunder King's gates, onto the battlefield for players to test their mettle against.
Players at level 90 and above can access the Isle of Thunder by going to the Vale of Eternal Blossoms, where they will receive the "Thunder Calls" quest. From there they will head to the Townlong Steppes area and the Shado-Pan Garrison, where they'll be pointed towards the island. Flying to the island is an option, though players will have to contend with airborn enemies, and a portal will open between the island and Shado-pan.
The Thunder King is set to hit Mists of Pandaria soon, and the patch is currently in open beta.
- Win a trip to California and one-day design apprenticeship on Sunset Overdrive!
- Explore Unreal Tournament in these 5 gameplay videos
- Notorious Airbnb squatter may be the dev behind two flailing Kickstarter games
- Sunset Overdrive's character customization is serious business
- GTA 4 now looks as good as GTA 5 — if you have a PC
- Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor will now release one week earlier
- What is BioWare teasing in this surreal new trailer?
- Here is why you probably won't get into the LittleBigPlanet 3 private beta this August
- Optimus Prime is no longer just a truck, he's a PlayStation
- Skylanders launching more powerful premium figures this fall