Eidos Montreal, the studio behind Deus Ex: Human Revolution, originally announced in 2009 that Thief 4 was in development. The game will be published by Square Enix.
Thief will return series protagonist Garrett to the medieval steampunk setting of the City. This time around, its residents are suffering from a plague as well as the rule of a tyrant called the Baron. Eidos Montreal is promising that the game will offer players many paths on which they can guide Garrett through its wide-open levels.
Screenshots and concept art for Thief leaked earlier this morning on the Russian website GamesManiac.
Watch the video below for some clips from Game Informer's video coverage of Thief, and check out the cover story in issue 240 for more details — the issue will be available to digital subscribers at approximately 3 p.m. ET today.
Update: "We're handling a precious gemstone with Thief. Fans remember the original games very fondly and we want to preserve that essence which we have excellent experience of doing at Eidos Montreal, whilst also introducing Thief to a brand new, next-generation, audience," said Stephane D'Astous, Eidos Montreal general manager, in a press release announcing Thief. "Our goal is to deliver the fantasy of being Garrett, the master thief, and we're building this game around that core experience."
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 5: The where I yet again break the rules
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: Prepare to Die (Tues 11 Mar)
- Contest: Want to go to the Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls launch party on March 24?
- Why no wireless chat with Xbox One Headsets?
- Mobile Marketing Tips
- This is why we can't have nice things.
- Post your Polygon Daily/Weekender headers here (March 2014)
- More Pokémon Discussions: Redux
- Owen Good, joining Polygon as senior reporter, weekends
- Prepare for Titanfall (Xbox One)