Minecraft might make its way to PlayStation devices but it's unlikely to ship on the Wii U, according to an interview with Mojang lead designer Jens Bergensten published in iGamer.
"Minecraft has an exclusivity deal for consoles," he said. "When it runs out, we'll consider Minecraft for PlayStation, but Wii U is very unlikely."
The game's current console exclusivity means that it is only available on Xbox 360 consoles. Developed by 4J Studios, Minecraft Xbox 360 Edition surpassed 5 million copies sold late last year. Minecraft has also been ported to Android, iOS and recently to the diminutive Raspberry Pi computer on a chip.
We've reached out to Mojang to find out why Minecraft on Wii U is so unlikely, and will update this article with more information as we receive it.
Update: Bergensten clarified Mojang's position to Polygon, writing: "First of all, no doors are closed, but the reason I said that was that during the last couple of months we've been discussing the future of the console version of Minecraft, Wii U has barely been mentioned."
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: Prepare to Die (Tues 11 Mar)
- Contest: Want to go to the Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls launch party on March 24?
- Why no wireless chat with Xbox One Headsets?
- Mobile Marketing Tips
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 5: The where I yet again break the rules
- This is why we can't have nice things.
- Post your Polygon Daily/Weekender headers here (March 2014)
- More Pokémon Discussions: Redux
- Owen Good, joining Polygon as senior reporter, weekends
- Prepare for Titanfall (Xbox One)