Minecraft might make its way to PlayStation devices but it's unlikely to ship on the Wii U, according to an interview with Mojang lead designer Jens Bergensten published in iGamer.
"Minecraft has an exclusivity deal for consoles," he said. "When it runs out, we'll consider Minecraft for PlayStation, but Wii U is very unlikely."
The game's current console exclusivity means that it is only available on Xbox 360 consoles. Developed by 4J Studios, Minecraft Xbox 360 Edition surpassed 5 million copies sold late last year. Minecraft has also been ported to Android, iOS and recently to the diminutive Raspberry Pi computer on a chip.
We've reached out to Mojang to find out why Minecraft on Wii U is so unlikely, and will update this article with more information as we receive it.
Update: Bergensten clarified Mojang's position to Polygon, writing: "First of all, no doors are closed, but the reason I said that was that during the last couple of months we've been discussing the future of the console version of Minecraft, Wii U has barely been mentioned."
- My mother made me a gamer, and gave me the skills to deal with her death
- Political-based strategy game ReignMaker now available for PC via Steam
- MLB The Show's neatest trick was not as easy as it looks
- Conception 2 review: bad romance
- Minecraft, Plants vs. Zombies, Street Fighter vets and more designing Magic 2015 cards
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 8: GOLDEN CRISIS
- Weekend at Polygon's: Party Time (19-20 April)
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- What characters would you guys like to see on the new Super Smash Bros?
- Does anyone else's NBA 2K14 audio cut out?
- Game contoller for PC
- Polygon Feast & Fitness Vol. 3
- Darkest Polygon: Lets start a Polygon Dark Souls 2 covenant
- Polygon Connect: The Great "Gamertag/PSN ID/Whatever" Roundup
- NVIDIA GeForce Titan For Gaming?!