Minecraft might make its way to PlayStation devices but it's unlikely to ship on the Wii U, according to an interview with Mojang lead designer Jens Bergensten published in iGamer.
"Minecraft has an exclusivity deal for consoles," he said. "When it runs out, we'll consider Minecraft for PlayStation, but Wii U is very unlikely."
The game's current console exclusivity means that it is only available on Xbox 360 consoles. Developed by 4J Studios, Minecraft Xbox 360 Edition surpassed 5 million copies sold late last year. Minecraft has also been ported to Android, iOS and recently to the diminutive Raspberry Pi computer on a chip.
We've reached out to Mojang to find out why Minecraft on Wii U is so unlikely, and will update this article with more information as we receive it.
Update: Bergensten clarified Mojang's position to Polygon, writing: "First of all, no doors are closed, but the reason I said that was that during the last couple of months we've been discussing the future of the console version of Minecraft, Wii U has barely been mentioned."
- Dark Souls 2: Crown of the Sunken King review: return of the king
- Endless Legend seeks the perfect imbalance to keep players exploring and exterminating
- No skin thick enough: The daily harassment of women in the game industry
- How the Model T convinced Nvidia to build a gaming-focused tablet
- Bungie pays up $95K to the composer behind Halo
More from Polygon
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.1: Silent Crusaders
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Tue July 22
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today
- Standby Or Off On PS4
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Mon July 22
- Destiny Beta
- I just want a gritty mature MOBA
- Polygon YouTube Channel
- Thoughts on Destiny