Minecraft might make its way to PlayStation devices but it's unlikely to ship on the Wii U, according to an interview with Mojang lead designer Jens Bergensten published in iGamer.
"Minecraft has an exclusivity deal for consoles," he said. "When it runs out, we'll consider Minecraft for PlayStation, but Wii U is very unlikely."
The game's current console exclusivity means that it is only available on Xbox 360 consoles. Developed by 4J Studios, Minecraft Xbox 360 Edition surpassed 5 million copies sold late last year. Minecraft has also been ported to Android, iOS and recently to the diminutive Raspberry Pi computer on a chip.
We've reached out to Mojang to find out why Minecraft on Wii U is so unlikely, and will update this article with more information as we receive it.
Update: Bergensten clarified Mojang's position to Polygon, writing: "First of all, no doors are closed, but the reason I said that was that during the last couple of months we've been discussing the future of the console version of Minecraft, Wii U has barely been mentioned."
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: Beast Mode (Thurs 24 April)
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 8: GOLDEN CRISIS
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: What? (Wed 23 April)
- Titanfall less addictive than previous/similar games?
- NVIDIA GeForce Titan For Gaming?!
- Darkest Polygon: Lets start a Polygon Dark Souls 2 covenant
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Game freezes at the starting screen, launch error
- Changing Posting Name
- Weekend at Polygon's: Party Time (19-20 April)