Electronic Arts may add "a couple of new sports franchises" to its portfolio, said chief financial officer Blake Jorgensen during the Wedbush Technology Conference today.
In response to a question about EA's upcoming slate of planned releases, Jorgensen pointed out that the company "didn't necessarily cancel" the NBA Live franchise; instead, EA "didn't deliver [NBA Live 13] on time."
Jorgensen continued, "For us, the big opportunities continue to be the FIFA franchise, the Battlefield franchise and then the core sports [franchises] of Madden [NFL], NCAA [Football], NHL, adding NBA [Live] and possibly a couple of new sports franchises along that way. Clearly, that's a big strength of the company and we want to continue that."
One of the franchises Jorgensen may have been referring to is EA's upcoming UFC series. EA announced during E3 2012 that it had bought the publishing rights for THQ's UFC franchise and signed an agreement with UFC for a "multi-year, multi-product partnership." The first game in EA's UFC series is in development at EA Canada.
As for the other new sports franchise, it's possible that EA is planning on getting back into baseball next year, now that Take-Two's exclusive third-party licensing agreement with Major League Baseball (for its MLB 2K series) has expired. EA's last licensed baseball title was the acclaimed MVP Baseball 2005, which launched on PlayStation 2, Xbox, GameCube, Windows PC and PlayStation Portable in February 2005.
EA decided to cancel NBA Live 13's planned October launch in late September when it became clear the game wouldn't be ready for release. At the time, EA Sports executive vice president Andrew Wilson vowed the company would launch an NBA Live title in 2014.
Update: An EA Sports representative has since clarified Jorgensen's comments in a statement to Polygon, saying, "Blake was referring to UFC and the ongoing evolution of our biggest sports titles into new markets and on new platforms (things like FIFA Online 3 in Korea, FIFA on mobile in Japan, Madden on mobile)."
- Titanfall - Overview video
- Dark Souls 2: tips for beginners and returning masochists
- Why you don't want an online mode in TowerFall
- Titanfall review: my buddy
- Dark Souls 2 - Overview video
- Dark Souls 2 review: not the end
- Street Fighter: The Movie — What went wrong
- EA offering workarounds for your Titanfall technical woes
- Back to work: The story of the Hello Games flood
- Why The Elder Scrolls Online needs a monthly subscription fee
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: Robot Mode (Wed 12 Mar)
- Video frame issues - It can't just be me
- PD Users: Defined at Last! (Humour)
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: Prepare to Die (Tues 11 Mar)
- Just about ready to cash in my pre-order......
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 5: The where I yet again break the rules
- More Pokémon Discussions: Redux
- The Last of US DLC
- Contest: Want to go to the Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls launch party on March 24?
- Why no wireless chat with Xbox One Headsets?