Age of Empires 2 HD, a modern update of the classic 1999 strategy title Age of Empires 2: The Age of Kings, will launch on Windows PC exclusively through Steam on April 9 for $19.99, according to a Steam listing for the game.
The remake is being handled by Hidden Path Entertainment, the studio behind Counter-Strike: Global Offensive and the Defense Grid games; Microsoft Studios is the publisher. Age of Empires 2 was originally developed by the now-defunct Ensemble Studios.
Age of Empires 2 HD includes all 18 civilization campaigns from the original title and its 2000 expansion, The Conquerors. It also offers online play through Steam; The Age of Kings supported up to eight players in a game. And Hidden Path is remastering the game's graphics in 1080p.
Interested parties can pre-order Age of Empires 2 HD through Steam to get a 10 percent discount (from $19.99 to $17.99) and access to the game four days early. Watch the announcement trailer below.
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: Do Polynauts dream of analog sheep? (Fri 7 Mar)
- PD Users: Defined at Last! (Humour)
- Contest: Want to go to the Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls launch party on March 24?
- More Pokémon Discussions: Redux
- Post your Polygon Daily/Weekender headers here (March 2014)
- When Gameplay coincides with the story
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 5: The where I yet again break the rules
- Dracul: Now not a Dick
- Welcome to the Polygon Community!
- Which FPS are you most looking forward to in 2014?