SimCity will be available June 11 on Mac OS X, and users who buy either that version or the existing Windows PC version will receive copies on both platforms, publisher Electronic Arts announced today.
All players who have already purchased SimCity on PC will receive a copy of the Mac version when it launches on Origin. The Mac version will be available via Origin and "other online retailers," said EA in a press release.
Developer Maxis previously said that cross-platform play will be supported, and that the Mac version is not a port, but was developed natively on the platform.
"You only need to buy SimCity once to play together across the same servers, regardless of which version you're playing," said Lucy Bradshaw, senior vice president and general manager of Maxis. Players will be able to access their cities from both versions of the game, and their Origin account will also sync achievements and leaderboard progress across Mac and PC.
The PC version of SimCity suffered severe server issues at launch, rendering the game unplayable for many users, and EA eventually offered players a choice of one of eight free games via Origin last month. Only this week did Maxis bring back "Cheetah" speed, a key feature that it disabled two days after launch in an effort to alleviate server load.
- No skin thick enough: The daily harassment of women in the game industry
- The studio that made Tony Hawk's Pro Skater closed, here's its billion-dollar story
- Dark Souls 2: Crown of the Sunken King review: return of the king
- How the Model T convinced Nvidia to build a gaming-focused tablet
- Dwarf Fortress will crush your CPU because creating history is hard
More from Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Wed July 23
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.1: Silent Crusaders
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Tue July 22
- Standby Or Off On PS4
- DESTINY disappointment?
- Women in Games: A Reaction
- Do you often read the reviews after finishing a game?
- Deals With Gold Weekly(?) Update