SimCity will be available June 11 on Mac OS X, and users who buy either that version or the existing Windows PC version will receive copies on both platforms, publisher Electronic Arts announced today.
All players who have already purchased SimCity on PC will receive a copy of the Mac version when it launches on Origin. The Mac version will be available via Origin and "other online retailers," said EA in a press release.
Developer Maxis previously said that cross-platform play will be supported, and that the Mac version is not a port, but was developed natively on the platform.
"You only need to buy SimCity once to play together across the same servers, regardless of which version you're playing," said Lucy Bradshaw, senior vice president and general manager of Maxis. Players will be able to access their cities from both versions of the game, and their Origin account will also sync achievements and leaderboard progress across Mac and PC.
The PC version of SimCity suffered severe server issues at launch, rendering the game unplayable for many users, and EA eventually offered players a choice of one of eight free games via Origin last month. Only this week did Maxis bring back "Cheetah" speed, a key feature that it disabled two days after launch in an effort to alleviate server load.
- Riot taught me League of Legends (and now I'm teaching you)
- Tonight, a nation's favorite game will award a human prize
- Dota 2 needs a white flag
- HBO documentary examines addiction, ethics of game design in shadow of child's death
- Why Shadow of Mordor's undead Elven hero and sexy Sauron are such a big deal
More from Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Mon July 28
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.2: Silent Crusaders
- my final thoughts on the DESTINY beta
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Infamous Second Son: 2.5/5 For Me!
- What's your favorite silly game?
- Tell Us Your Story
- Have you heard of Toki's Magic Wand???
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today
- Weekend at Polygon's: Open Thread - July 26-27