SimCity will be available June 11 on Mac OS X, and users who buy either that version or the existing Windows PC version will receive copies on both platforms, publisher Electronic Arts announced today.
All players who have already purchased SimCity on PC will receive a copy of the Mac version when it launches on Origin. The Mac version will be available via Origin and "other online retailers," said EA in a press release.
Developer Maxis previously said that cross-platform play will be supported, and that the Mac version is not a port, but was developed natively on the platform.
"You only need to buy SimCity once to play together across the same servers, regardless of which version you're playing," said Lucy Bradshaw, senior vice president and general manager of Maxis. Players will be able to access their cities from both versions of the game, and their Origin account will also sync achievements and leaderboard progress across Mac and PC.
The PC version of SimCity suffered severe server issues at launch, rendering the game unplayable for many users, and EA eventually offered players a choice of one of eight free games via Origin last month. Only this week did Maxis bring back "Cheetah" speed, a key feature that it disabled two days after launch in an effort to alleviate server load.
- Titanfall review: my buddy
- Street Fighter: The Movie — What went wrong
- Space Noir's spaceship combat headed to PC and tablets from N-Fusion and Unity Games
- Titanfall's achievement lies in allowing the player to find fun in failure
- The final years of Irrational Games, according to those who were there
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: Prepared for Titanfall? (Mon 10 Mar)
- When can I buy this digitally for Xbox One?
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 5: The where I yet again break the rules
- When Gameplay coincides with the story
- PS4 Now or Wait Till Price Drop & Gaikai?
- Getting a PS4
- More Pokémon Discussions: Redux
- Owen Good, joining Polygon as senior reporter, weekends
- How is Battlefield 4 on PC
- Prepare for Titanfall (Xbox One)