Ubisoft takes full ownership of Anno developer Related Designs

Ubisoft fully acquired Related Designs, one of the studios behind the publisher's Anno series of real-time strategy games, the publisher announced today.

The French publisher already owned 29.95 percent of Related Designs, a stake that came from its 2007 acquisition of Sunflowers Interactive Entertainment Software, and the company recently purchased the remaining 70.05 percent in cash. Terms of the acquisition were not disclosed.

Mainz, Germany-based Related Designs was founded in 1995, and its recent history includes work as the developer or co-developer on three Anno titles: Anno 1701, Anno 1404 and Anno 2070. Under Ubisoft, the 65-person team at Related Designs will continue its partnership with Ubisoft Blue Byte, with which it worked on the two most recent Anno games, for Might and Magic Heroes Online and future titles.

"This extremely fruitful cooperation can now advance thanks to the joint teams of Blue Byte and Related Designs more easily sharing experiences and resources. Together we will continue developing awesome games, including Might and Magic Heroes Online, which we hope will become a leading free-to-play title for Ubisoft," said Odile Limpach, managing director of Ubisoft Blue Byte, in a press release announcing the acquisition.

"We're happy to formally join Ubisoft," said Thomas Pottkämper, managing director of Related Designs, in the press release. "This move validates our longstanding partnership and provides our teams with additional resources to expand upon their great work."

You can check out a preview of Might and Magic Heroes Online, a browser-based free-to-play MMO, here.

More from Polygon

The horror of Five Nights at Freddy's

  • Dark Souls 2: Crown of the Old Iron King Overview

  • Spacecom: a fast 4X built for multiplayer

  • Pillars of Eternity builds on role-playing classics

  • Tour the 1 KB hard drive built inside Minecraft

Latest Discussions

X
Log In Sign Up

forgot?
Log In Sign Up

Please choose a new Polygon username and password

As part of the new Polygon launch, prior users will need to choose a permanent username, along with a new password.

Your username will be used to login to Polygon going forward.

I already have a Vox Media account!

Verify Vox Media account

Please login to your Vox Media account. This account will be linked to your previously existing Eater account.

Please choose a new Polygon username and password

As part of the new Polygon launch, prior MT authors will need to choose a new username and password.

Your username will be used to login to Polygon going forward.

Forgot password?

We'll email you a reset link.

If you signed up using a 3rd party account like Facebook or Twitter, please login with it instead.

Forgot password?

Try another email?

Almost done,

By becoming a registered user, you are also agreeing to our Terms and confirming that you have read our Privacy Policy.
Spinner.vc97ec6e

Authenticating

Great!

Choose an available username to complete sign up.

In order to provide our users with a better overall experience, we ask for more information from Facebook when using it to login so that we can learn more about our audience and provide you with the best possible experience. We do not store specific user data and the sharing of it is not required to login with Facebook.

tracking_pixel_5353_tracker