The official website and a pair of trailers for 2K Games' tactical shooter set in the XCOM universe appear to have been taken offline by the game's publisher — a change recently spotted by Digital Trends — leading to further speculation about the fate of the long-delayed XCOM.
The XCOM official site now returns a 404 error and two YouTube videos hosted on 2K Games' channel have been set to private viewing.
Originally announced in 2010 as a first-person shooter set in the 1960s, XCOM has been frequently delayed by 2K Games and publisher Take-Two Interactive. The game is currently on the books for a fiscal 2014 release, according to the most recent financial results from Take-Two, pegging its ship date some time between April 2013 and May 2014.
A recent report on Kotaku indicated that 2K Marin's XCOM shooter may be undergoing a rebranding, with domain registrations (thebureau-game.com, whathappenedin62.com) pointing to a project titled The Bureau. A previous report indicated that XCOM had undergone a shift from first-person shooter to third-person.
When contacted for comment, a 2K spokesperson told Polygon the company "has no comment about the sites being down today."
- Looking for Game Suggestions
- Weekend at Polygon's: Party Time (19-20 April)
- Is Polygon Live discontinued?
- Darkest Polygon: Lets start a Polygon Dark Souls 2 covenant
- NVIDIA GeForce Titan For Gaming?!
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: Public Holidays = Relax! (Fri 18 Apr)
- inFamous Screenshot Potluck Extravaganza!
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 8: GOLDEN CRISIS
- Post Your Rig!