The official website and a pair of trailers for 2K Games' tactical shooter set in the XCOM universe appear to have been taken offline by the game's publisher — a change recently spotted by Digital Trends — leading to further speculation about the fate of the long-delayed XCOM.
The XCOM official site now returns a 404 error and two YouTube videos hosted on 2K Games' channel have been set to private viewing.
Originally announced in 2010 as a first-person shooter set in the 1960s, XCOM has been frequently delayed by 2K Games and publisher Take-Two Interactive. The game is currently on the books for a fiscal 2014 release, according to the most recent financial results from Take-Two, pegging its ship date some time between April 2013 and May 2014.
A recent report on Kotaku indicated that 2K Marin's XCOM shooter may be undergoing a rebranding, with domain registrations (thebureau-game.com, whathappenedin62.com) pointing to a project titled The Bureau. A previous report indicated that XCOM had undergone a shift from first-person shooter to third-person.
When contacted for comment, a 2K spokesperson told Polygon the company "has no comment about the sites being down today."
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Fri Aug 29
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17.1 - Woady call me kōhai!
- Favorite "Bad" Game
- Post your Weekend at Polygon/Daily headers here (August 2014)
- Nintendo Customer Service
- Help Nipah build a PC
- Polynauts Fantasy Football League
- On Being A "Gamer"
- Polygon Daily Open Thread: Dancing Plante - Thu Aug 28
- Woady Reviews Anime: Bleach the Movie: Hell Verse