Three of Playfish's Facebook games — SimCity Social, The Sims Social and Pet Society — are being closed June 14, publisher Electronic Arts announced today, citing a drop-off in the player base and activity for each game.
"After millions of people initially logged in to play these games, the number of players and amount of activity has fallen off," said EA. "For people who have seen other recent shutdowns of social games, perhaps this is not surprising."
Pet Society is the oldest of the three, having launched in August 2008. The Sims Social was released in August 2011, and SimCity Social launched in open beta in late June 2012 after having been announced at E3 that year. Playfish developed Pet Society, while The Sims Social and SimCity Social were co-developed with Maxis.
As Joystiq notes, these were the last three extant Playfish titles; every other game listed on its website has either been shut down already or is scheduled to be closed. The lone exception is Madden NFL Social, an iOS and Facebook title that was developed at EA Tiburon, the studio that makes the traditional Madden console games.
EA said it plans to continue to develop and release Facebook games, "most notably games from PopCap" such as Bejeweled Blitz, Solitaire Blitz and Plants vs. Zombies Adventures. The company added that it will be giving players of the aforementioned Playfish titles a "special offer" to transition them to a PopCap Facebook game.
The news follows last week's layoffs at EA, which were reportedly centered around the company's Montreal-based mobile studio. EA suffered another round of layoffs in February, with those cuts limited to company's Los Angeles studio and the Montreal arm of Visceral Games.
We've reached out to EA for more details on Playfish.
Update: When asked about Playfish, an EA representative declined comment and pointed us to the EA blog post linked above.
- Saints Row: Gat Out of Hell sends the Saints to Hell in 2015
- Nintendo reveals the New Nintendo 3DS
- Help us choose the best reader-designed Sunset Overdrive character
- The New Nintendo 3DS is everything fun, exhausting, about Nintendo's strategy
- Peggle 2 is coming to PlayStation 4
- Is Activision pondering a Take-Two takeover?
- More Dragon Quest games heading to mobile, including the original, very soon
- Themes are coming to Nintendo 3DS to make your old 3DS prettier
- Super Meat Boy Forever is an endless platformer, not a little 'throwaway game'
- Ambitious, beautiful multiplayer space combat game GoD Factory: Wingmen launches today
- Weekend at Polygon's: Open Thread - Aug 30-31
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17.1 - Woady call me kōhai!
- Help Nipah build a PC
- Nintendo Customer Service
- Kingdom of Amalur - 10$ was the best deal ever
- I'm going to make an AMV...and I need your help.
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Fri Aug 29
- Pokémon Discussions: Summer into Fall
- Woady Reviews Anime: Bleach the Movie: Hell Verse
- Calling all first team Polygon staff to the Set!