Three of Playfish's Facebook games — SimCity Social, The Sims Social and Pet Society — are being closed June 14, publisher Electronic Arts announced today, citing a drop-off in the player base and activity for each game.
"After millions of people initially logged in to play these games, the number of players and amount of activity has fallen off," said EA. "For people who have seen other recent shutdowns of social games, perhaps this is not surprising."
Pet Society is the oldest of the three, having launched in August 2008. The Sims Social was released in August 2011, and SimCity Social launched in open beta in late June 2012 after having been announced at E3 that year. Playfish developed Pet Society, while The Sims Social and SimCity Social were co-developed with Maxis.
As Joystiq notes, these were the last three extant Playfish titles; every other game listed on its website has either been shut down already or is scheduled to be closed. The lone exception is Madden NFL Social, an iOS and Facebook title that was developed at EA Tiburon, the studio that makes the traditional Madden console games.
EA said it plans to continue to develop and release Facebook games, "most notably games from PopCap" such as Bejeweled Blitz, Solitaire Blitz and Plants vs. Zombies Adventures. The company added that it will be giving players of the aforementioned Playfish titles a "special offer" to transition them to a PopCap Facebook game.
The news follows last week's layoffs at EA, which were reportedly centered around the company's Montreal-based mobile studio. EA suffered another round of layoffs in February, with those cuts limited to company's Los Angeles studio and the Montreal arm of Visceral Games.
We've reached out to EA for more details on Playfish.
Update: When asked about Playfish, an EA representative declined comment and pointed us to the EA blog post linked above.
- Toys for Bob and the story behind Skylanders
- Tales from inside the Diversity Lounge: PAX's half-baked experiment
- Bungie fires Halo composer Martin O'Donnell (update)
- Sweden wants to use games to promote democracy and creativity
- Trials Fusion review: back to the future
- EB Games Expo 2014 to take place in Sydney, Oct. 3-5, ticket sales begin April 24
- Animation hack in Telltale games is hilarious and terrifying
- Chaos Reborn Kickstarter surpasses crowdfunding goal
- A eulogy for World of Darkness, written by (and for) a White Wolf fan
- Cult County to launch on Nintendo 3DS if minimum crowdfunding goal is met
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: M! (Wed 16 Apr)
- Darkest Polygon: Lets start a Polygon Dark Souls 2 covenant
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 8: GOLDEN CRISIS
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Post your Polygon Daily/Weekender headers here (April 2014)
- Controller Design Competition
- What characters would you guys like to see on the new Super Smash Bros?
- Scrolling front page - can't access bottom banner
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol.2, No.7: Warai, Warai!
- Any clues to why it is called Second Son?