Tencent will publish Monster Hunter Online, Capcom's in-development free-to-play massively multiplayer online game set in the Monster Hunter universe, the companies announced earlier today at a conference held by Tencent in Beijing.
The game, built on Windows PC using Crytek's CryEngine 3, is slated to open for beta testing this June.
According to a press statement on the game's official website, translated from Chinese, Monster Hunter Online will "reproduce the screen style, combat feel, mission modes and classic monster boss battles" characteristic of the series. Players will have new monsters to capture, areas to explore and weapons and other items to collect.
YouTube used luferhyz posted the above announcement trailer with more details on the MMO, including a feature that will allow time and weather to affect the in-game world and the ability to drive vehicles. Check out the video for a first look at Monster Hunter Online.
[Thanks, Fan Zhang!]
Update: Tencent and Capcom will develop Monster Hunter Online "for the international market," not just China, said Crytek in a press release it sent out this morning. Areil Cai, director of business development for CryEngine, added, "CryEngine 3 is the perfect fit for the series, and will ensure Tencent Games and Capcom are well equipped to make Monster Hunter Online the groundbreaking MMORPG experience fans worldwide are eagerly anticipating."
We've edited this story to reflect this.
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 8: GOLDEN CRISIS
- The best song in a video game?
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: M! (Wed 16 Apr)
- Darkest Polygon: Lets start a Polygon Dark Souls 2 covenant
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Post your Polygon Daily/Weekender headers here (April 2014)
- Controller Design Competition
- What characters would you guys like to see on the new Super Smash Bros?
- Scrolling front page - can't access bottom banner
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol.2, No.7: Warai, Warai!