Razer will honor some orders placed on its online store with a 90 percent promo code the company was unaware of, Razer CEO Min-Liang Tan said in a statement posted to his Facebook.
The code was discovered earlier this week and could be used to purchase items off the company's online at a deep discount. Razer became aware of the code's existence when Polygon contacted the company for comment, and began looking into the matter.
According to Tan's post, individually purchased products will have the code honored, such as single headsets and gaming mice. Buyers who purchased items in bulk will have to choose one item to apply the 90 percent discount.
Tan wrote that the coupon code was not approved or authorized by the company and had been generated by a third party to "test our shopping cart."The company will not cancel orders made when the code was live in accordance with Razer's "customer comes first policy," Tan said.
"While we have the option of cancelling the orders legally, we've always had a customer comes first policy at Razer and in respect of this incident, we have decided to honor the orders that were placed using the unauthorized code by Razer fans buying single products for their own use," Tan wrote. "Unfortunately, as the products are being sold well below their cost, it will likely cost us an insane amount of losses to make good on the orders which will really really hurt us as we're still a small company — that much said, we want to do right by the community."
[Thanks, Stefan Pace.]
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: Do Polynauts dream of analog sheep? (Fri 7 Mar)
- PD Users: Defined at Last! (Humour)
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 5: The where I yet again break the rules
- Dracul: Now not a Dick
- When Gameplay coincides with the story
- Contest: Want to go to the Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls launch party on March 24?
- Welcome to the Polygon Community!
- Which FPS are you most looking forward to in 2014?
- Owen Good, joining Polygon as senior reporter, weekends
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: 100% Complete (Thu 6 Mar)