Mark Rein, vice president of Gears of War and Unreal Engine developer Epic Games, compared the PlayStation 4 to "a really perfect gaming PC" in a recent interview with CVG.
Mark Cerny, lead system architect at Sony, spent a significant portion of the press event in which the company announced the next-gen console talking about its specs, often comparing it to a PC. PlayStation 4's technical specs include a an x86-64 AMD CPU with eight cores and 8 GB of GDDR5 RAM.
"I think it's a very smart move on Sony's behalf to build this sort of enhanced PC architecture and then put so much in it," Rein told CVG.
Rein complimented Sony for the services it plans to include in the console, which he said will offer a "level of convenience" for PS4 owners. He's also impressed by the PS4's CPU, which he said bests the 32-bit processors in many consumer PCs. Rein also said that the PS4's 8 GB of RAM compares favorably to the 2 GB of "addressable memory space" typically available on Windows PCs.
"The kind of stuff that they announced that they're doing, the level of convenience and things like that ... they're making a really perfect gaming PC,"he said.
For more on Sony's next-gen console, hop over to Polygon's StoryStream from the announcement event. To learn about Epic's next-gen plans, be sure to watch its recent "Infiltrator" video, which demonstrates the tech behind Unreal Engine 4. You can also read CVG's full interview here.
- Police investigating Comic-Con cosplay assault, photographer arrested
- The front lines: How a beta makes a game better
- PlayStation Now rentals cost $2.99 for four hours play, but everything could be changing
- Twitter can fix its harassment problem, but why mess with success?
- A video history of Crytek in two minutes
More from Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Wed July 30
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.2: Silent Crusaders
- Frames Per Second FPS?? How to tell 60 vs 30?
- my final thoughts on the DESTINY beta
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Highergrounds Game
- What games on the Hype Train exceeded your expectations?
- PS+ & Stryder
- What's your favorite silly game?
- Tell Us Your Story