Mark Rein, vice president of Gears of War and Unreal Engine developer Epic Games, compared the PlayStation 4 to "a really perfect gaming PC" in a recent interview with CVG.
Mark Cerny, lead system architect at Sony, spent a significant portion of the press event in which the company announced the next-gen console talking about its specs, often comparing it to a PC. PlayStation 4's technical specs include a an x86-64 AMD CPU with eight cores and 8 GB of GDDR5 RAM.
"I think it's a very smart move on Sony's behalf to build this sort of enhanced PC architecture and then put so much in it," Rein told CVG.
Rein complimented Sony for the services it plans to include in the console, which he said will offer a "level of convenience" for PS4 owners. He's also impressed by the PS4's CPU, which he said bests the 32-bit processors in many consumer PCs. Rein also said that the PS4's 8 GB of RAM compares favorably to the 2 GB of "addressable memory space" typically available on Windows PCs.
"The kind of stuff that they announced that they're doing, the level of convenience and things like that ... they're making a really perfect gaming PC,"he said.
For more on Sony's next-gen console, hop over to Polygon's StoryStream from the announcement event. To learn about Epic's next-gen plans, be sure to watch its recent "Infiltrator" video, which demonstrates the tech behind Unreal Engine 4. You can also read CVG's full interview here.
- We play Titanfall, TowerFall and Dark Souls 2 in this week's Polygon Live
- Dark Souls 2 - Overview video
- R.B.I. Baseball 14 wants to be the simple, fast-paced game you remember
- Dark Souls 2: tips for beginners and returning masochists
- Disney Infinity's Phineas and Agent P arrive first at GameStop March 15
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: Robot Mode (Wed 12 Mar)
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 5: The where I yet again break the rules
- PD Users: Defined at Last! (Humour)
- Just about ready to cash in my pre-order......
- Towerfall Diamond League
- Need your help fellow Polynauts regarding my thesis study!!!
- Video frame issues - It can't just be me
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: Prepare to Die (Tues 11 Mar)
- More Pokémon Discussions: Redux
- The Last of US DLC