A Plan B campaign has been outlined for Ecco the Dolphin creator Ed Annunziata's current Kickstarter campaign for a new underwater action adventure game called The Big Blue, according to the campaign's latest update.
Plan B involves a new Kickstarter campaign with a smaller funding goal with rewards "at a finer granularity." If successfully funded, "a slice" of The Big Blue will be developed to give potential backers a better idea of the game's vision.
"One of the problems we have is it is hard to get people to see how compelling a game like the Big Blue will be," Annunziata wrote in the update. "If it is not clear in your mind's eye you will less likely back it. This is totally understandable.
"On the other hand I am absolutely certain that if you could try the game and see how beautiful and unique it will be, most people would not hesitate to back it, and will want to be involved in it's creation."
A dolphin and an unannounced creature will be playable characters in The Little Blue, and will feature quests and song mechanics. The game will also include two large environments and a private ocean environment that will serve as a home base. The environment will be populated with at least 10 different sea creatures and one leviathan-type sea creature.
"When the Little Blue gets funded, we will build it, and then everyone can try it out and see what the potential is," the update reads. "We will tune the Little Blue to make it as fun as possible and make everyone who plays it want more."
The Little Blue will be used as a stepping stone to create The Big Blue. The sampler game will be available for free with no monetization and will include a link to the the next step in its development, The Big Blue, Part 2
The update also mentioned that the team received an Oculus Rift development kit to experiment with.
"We are all excited about the potential. If my ideas work (that is are fun and satisfying) I believe the Big Blue will be the de facto underwater title for Oculus Rift," Annunziata wrote. "More on this later."
The Big Blue campaign, which launched in March and ends in seven days, has raised a total of $52,558 in pledges and had an initial funding goal of $665,000. For more detail about the The Big Blue, be sure to read our feature.
- Saints Row: Gat Out of Hell sends the Saints to Hell in 2015
- Nintendo reveals the New Nintendo 3DS
- Help us choose the best reader-designed Sunset Overdrive character
- The New Nintendo 3DS is everything fun, exhausting, about Nintendo's strategy
- Peggle 2 is coming to PlayStation 4
- Is Activision pondering a Take-Two takeover?
- More Dragon Quest games heading to mobile, including the original, very soon
- Themes are coming to Nintendo 3DS to make your old 3DS prettier
- Super Meat Boy Forever is an endless platformer, not a little 'throwaway game'
- Ambitious, beautiful multiplayer space combat game GoD Factory: Wingmen launches today