Nordic Games acquired a significant portion of THQ's assets in a recent bankruptcy auction, the latest in a series of acquisitions since Nordic's founding that have built the company's catalog of established intellectual properties.
Nordic Games Licensing AB, the Swedish company listed in the court's Notice of Motion document, handled the acquisition as part of Nordic Games Group AB. The Vienna-based Nordic Games GmbH, which was founded in 2011, will handle "the day-to-day business (sales and distribution of said titles, evaluation of sequels & new content[,] etc.) with the acquired portfolio," according to a press release from the company. Nordic Games is perhaps most notable as publisher of The Farm 51's recent Painkiller: Hell & Damnation remake.
In 2011, Nordic acquired the "entire product- and brand-portfolio" of DreamCatcher Interactive, granting the company a portfolio of over 50 IPs, including the Painkiller and Safecracker series.
Nordic publishes games under the DreamCatcher, JoWooD (Painkiller: Overdose, SpellForce: The Order of Dawn, The Guild 2) and The Adventure Company (Broken Sword: The Sleeping Dragon, Missing: Since January, Sam & Max Season One) labels.
Nordic Games also publishes Mind Over Matter Studios' SpellForce 2 series of role-playing games and King Art's adventure game The Book of Unwritten Tales. King Art's upcoming adventure game The Raven - Legacy of a Master Thief is scheduled to be released for Windows PC, Mac and Linux on June 20.
Polish developer The Farm 51's Deadfall Adventures is also published by Nordic Games.
In This StoryStream
- Polygon Off-Topic Weekender: We broke 1K! (8-9 March)
- PD Users: Defined at Last! (Humour)
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 5: The where I yet again break the rules
- Owen Good, joining Polygon as senior reporter, weekends
- Getting a PS4
- More Pokémon Discussions: Redux
- Contest: Want to go to the Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls launch party on March 24?
- The Last of US DLC
- PS4 Now or Wait Till Price Drop & Gaikai?
- The controller: will it get fixed?