The "Zombie Bait" edition of Dead Island: Riptide featuring a bloody, busty severed female torso is still available for purchase in some regions, despite public outcry over the statue when it was unveiled earlier this year.
In a statement to CNET Australia, a representative for Koch Media said the Australian and New Zealand "Zombie Bait" editions have been made available in "extremely limited quantity" for "those customers who wish to purchase it."
Deep Silver drew criticism when it first unveiled the special edition in January, with negative reactions pouring in via Twitter and other social sites. Deep Silver later issued an apology, stating they "sincerely regret" the choice.
"We are collecting feedback continuously from the Dead Island community, as well as the international gaming community at large, for ongoing internal meetings with Deep Silver's entire international team today," the company said in a statement. "For now, we want to reiterate to the community, fans and industry how deeply sorry we are, and that we are committed to making sure this will never happen again."
Polygon has reached out to Koch Media and Deep Silver for more details on the release of the "Zombie Bait" edition, and will update this story with details as we have them.
- The 'true' story of a Pokémon game that turns you into a murderer
- A guided tour of the 1 KB hard drive built inside Minecraft
- Do low game prices spell a 'mass extinction' for game developers?
- Fez developer Polytron hacked in ongoing game developer harassment effort
- Pokémon's Slowpoke has its own official reggae song
- Pokegon Daily Open Thread: Double Sabre - Fri Aug 22
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17 - Heart Containers
- 'Goodbye Polygon,' said Frushtick
- I've experienced the Pokémon World Championships, and you should too
- Polynauts Fantasy Football League
- Pokémon Discussions: Summer into Fall
- Games with great Sound Design
- What "Console Wars" taught me about myself and being a fanboy
- Pokégon Daily Open Thread - Thu Aug 21
- Post your Weekend at Polygon/Daily headers here (August 2014)