The "Zombie Bait" edition of Dead Island: Riptide featuring a bloody, busty severed female torso is still available for purchase in some regions, despite public outcry over the statue when it was unveiled earlier this year.
In a statement to CNET Australia, a representative for Koch Media said the Australian and New Zealand "Zombie Bait" editions have been made available in "extremely limited quantity" for "those customers who wish to purchase it."
Deep Silver drew criticism when it first unveiled the special edition in January, with negative reactions pouring in via Twitter and other social sites. Deep Silver later issued an apology, stating they "sincerely regret" the choice.
"We are collecting feedback continuously from the Dead Island community, as well as the international gaming community at large, for ongoing internal meetings with Deep Silver's entire international team today," the company said in a statement. "For now, we want to reiterate to the community, fans and industry how deeply sorry we are, and that we are committed to making sure this will never happen again."
Polygon has reached out to Koch Media and Deep Silver for more details on the release of the "Zombie Bait" edition, and will update this story with details as we have them.
- No skin thick enough: The daily harassment of women in the game industry
- The studio that made Tony Hawk's Pro Skater closed, here's its billion-dollar story
- Dark Souls 2: Crown of the Sunken King review: return of the king
- How the Model T convinced Nvidia to build a gaming-focused tablet
- Find out which experimental games excite Korean devs
More from Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Tue July 22
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.1: Silent Crusaders
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today
- What's your favorite silly game?
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Thoughts on Destiny
- Yakuza 5 (Ryū ga Gotoku 5) Fan Translation Gone?
- Standby Or Off On PS4
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Mon July 22