Nintendo released a new system update for the Wii U today, which introduces changes like faster load times, a standby function to download and install software while the system is powered off and more.
The system update released today is the first major update since December 2012, and brings with it a long list of changes to the console. It includes new features such as a standby function to download and install software when the system is powered off, the ability for eShop purchases to automatically download and install in the background and holding down the B Button while the Wii U logo is displayed during startup will make it load the Wii Menu.
The update also brings changes to the system settings, like offering the option to transfer and/or copy between two USB storage devices in "Data Management" and the ability to select multiple software titles when transferring, copying or deleting data in "Data Management."
The Miiverse, Nintendo eShop, Wii U Internet Browser, Download Management and overall system also receive tweaks and improvements to "enhance the user experience." The complete list of updates can be read here. Polygon will conduct its own speed test to determine how much load times have improved.
In addition to announcing the system update in the most recent Nintendo Direct, Nintendo president Satoru Iwata said the Wii U Virtual Console will launch the day after the system update is available. The Wii U Virtual Console will launch alongside eight classic games.
- Win a one-day design apprenticeship on Sunset Overdrive!
- Sunset Overdrive's character customization is serious business
- Notorious Airbnb squatter may be the dev behind two flailing Kickstarter games
- Report: Google to acquire Twitch for $1 billion
- Two Ubisoft developers watched a goat sacrifice while researching Far Cry 4
More from Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Thu July 24
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.1: Silent Crusaders
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Deals With Gold Weekly(?) Update
- What's your favorite silly game?
- Why you don't like this headline: Here's how a change in style guide might just be the most clicked click thing you've clicked today
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- DESTINY disappointment?
- PS4 Beta Codes