Some Steam users in the U.K. attempting to redeem codes for Dead Island: Riptide have instead unlocked Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition, according to posts on the Steam forums.
A group of players who purchased the codes at retail found they had access to Namco Bandai's game rather than the sequel to Deep Silver's 2011 zombie-slashing action title. Deep Silver community manager Maurice Tan took to the forums to explain the situation, stating the code mix-up affected retail copies of Riptide in the U.K. and Nordic regions.
"To the best of my knowledge this issue would affect retail copies in the United Kingdom and Nordic countries," he wrote.
"We are aware of this mixup by whoever printed these codes for a completely different game from a different publisher, and are working on a best possible solution to help affected players and retailers," Tan added.
In a later update, Tan said Deep Silver is working with Steam to correct the issue and get copies of Dead Island: Riptide into the hands of players who purchased it.
"We've worked with Steam to resolve this issue," he wrote. "If you are getting your retail copy of Dead Island: Riptide today, the code will work properly. If you had redeemed it and received Dark Souls instead, please contact Steam support. They are aware of the issue and will make sure the correct game will be attached to your account."
- Sony agrees to $15M settlement in 2011 data breach class action
- Dwarf Fortress will crush your CPU because creating history is hard
- No skin thick enough: The daily harassment of women in the game industry
- Launching Civilization: Beyond Earth
- Here is how anyone can get The Sims 2 Ultimate Edition for free
More from Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Thu July 24
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Spare PS4 Beta Codes
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.1: Silent Crusaders
- Standby Or Off On PS4
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Wed July 23
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today
- A New Steam Controller
- DESTINY disappointment?