Call of Duty publisher Activision opened a teaser site for the next entry in the franchise today — which is reportedly titled Call of Duty: Ghosts — and it appears to be revealing an image of Ghost, an important side character in the Modern Warfare sub-series.
Leaked retailer listings and box art suggest this year's game is titled Call of Duty: Ghosts and is being made by Call of Duty: Modern Warfare developer Infinity Ward on PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, Windows PC and Wii U. Activision has yet to officially announce the next Call of Duty title, although Activision Publishing CEO Eric Hirshberg said during the company's most recent earnings call that it plans to launch the game in the fourth quarter of 2013 and expects it to perform worse than 2012's Call of Duty: Black Ops 2.
The teaser site asks fans to link their Facebook or Twitter account to the page and send out a Call of Duty-related message on those services. In turn, a mosaic on the site will gradually be filled in with the linked users' Facebook and Twitter avatars to reveal an image, which at this stage resembles the skull mask worn by the character Ghost.
Lt. Simon "Ghost" Riley was an operator in the British Special Air Service who appeared in the Infinity Ward-developed game Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (2009), as well as Wildstorm Productions' comic book tie-in series, Modern Warfare 2: Ghost (2009). The Cockney-accented Ghost was killed in the mission "Loose Ends" in a betrayal by General Shepherd of the U.S. Army, who had been a support character to that point.
According to a GameStop in-store display provided to IGN, Activision will announce the game May 1.
- Towerfall Ascension review: bowstring symphony
- The final years of Irrational Games, according to those who were there
- Ouya may not be dead, but its long history of stumbles makes success unlikely
- When a successful game is a failure
- Report: R.B.I Baseball 14 to launch on April 10
- Prepare to run Dark Souls 2 with the PC version's system requirements
- Why Watch Dogs went into hiding
- The Besties: The Best Games of February 2014
- Hack into Nedry's Jurassic Park security system
- Goofball Goals - Overview video
- PD Users: Defined at Last! (Humour)
- More Pokémon Discussions: Redux
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: Do Polynauts dream of analog sheep? (Fri 7 Mar)
- Contest: Want to go to the Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls launch party on March 24?
- Post your Polygon Daily/Weekender headers here (March 2014)
- When Gameplay coincides with the story
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 5: The where I yet again break the rules
- Dracul: Now not a Dick
- Welcome to the Polygon Community!
- Which FPS are you most looking forward to in 2014?