Call of Duty publisher Activision opened a teaser site for the next entry in the franchise today — which is reportedly titled Call of Duty: Ghosts — and it appears to be revealing an image of Ghost, an important side character in the Modern Warfare sub-series.
Leaked retailer listings and box art suggest this year's game is titled Call of Duty: Ghosts and is being made by Call of Duty: Modern Warfare developer Infinity Ward on PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, Windows PC and Wii U. Activision has yet to officially announce the next Call of Duty title, although Activision Publishing CEO Eric Hirshberg said during the company's most recent earnings call that it plans to launch the game in the fourth quarter of 2013 and expects it to perform worse than 2012's Call of Duty: Black Ops 2.
The teaser site asks fans to link their Facebook or Twitter account to the page and send out a Call of Duty-related message on those services. In turn, a mosaic on the site will gradually be filled in with the linked users' Facebook and Twitter avatars to reveal an image, which at this stage resembles the skull mask worn by the character Ghost.
Lt. Simon "Ghost" Riley was an operator in the British Special Air Service who appeared in the Infinity Ward-developed game Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (2009), as well as Wildstorm Productions' comic book tie-in series, Modern Warfare 2: Ghost (2009). The Cockney-accented Ghost was killed in the mission "Loose Ends" in a betrayal by General Shepherd of the U.S. Army, who had been a support character to that point.
According to a GameStop in-store display provided to IGN, Activision will announce the game May 1.
- How video games can change the world, one child at a time
- Playing with privilege: the invisible benefits of gaming while male
- Why a deal between Netflix and Comcast matters to gamers
- Tabletop Simulator - Overview video
- Limbo, Skullgirls Encore and more join PlayStation Instant Game Collection in May
- Unreal Engine 4 updated with PS4, Xbox One, Linux and SteamOS support
- Child of Light's creators discuss the birth of Aurora and her fairytale journey
- Moebius: Empire Rising review: remedial history
- Titanfall's Expedition DLC offers a 'parkour playground' with the 'War Games' map
- Skylanders Trap Team coming Oct. 5 with a new twist and a new portal
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: Beast Mode (Thurs 24 April)
- Titanfall less addictive than previous/similar games?
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 8: GOLDEN CRISIS
- Darkest Polygon: Lets start a Polygon Dark Souls 2 covenant
- NVIDIA GeForce Titan For Gaming?!
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: What? (Wed 23 April)
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Game freezes at the starting screen, launch error
- Changing Posting Name
- Weekend at Polygon's: Party Time (19-20 April)