A Blizzard Service Award sword and shield, awarded to Blizzard employees for long service, is listed on eBay with a "Buy It Now" price of $19,999.
The seller, "gemmintwen," states the sword and shield belonged to a former Blizzard executive who received the ten-year milestone shield in 2007. The employee's name is currently protected for privacy reasons; however, their identity will be revealed to the winning bidder. At the time of writing, two offers have been made on the items.
The Swords and Shields ceremony began at Blizzard in 1996 to recognize long service employees. Those who have been with company for five years receive a sword; ten years awards a shield; fifteen year veterans are given a special ring; and employees who give twenty years of service are rewarded with a helmet based on Diablo 3's Archangel Imperius.
According to Blizzard, while the design of the sword changes each year, the shield and ring designs only receive minor tweaks.
- The 'true' story of a Pokémon game that turns you into a murderer
- A guided tour of the 1 KB hard drive built inside Minecraft
- Minecon is officially off this year; looks to return in 2015
- Fez developer Polytron hacked in ongoing game developer harassment effort
- Microsoft hosting ID@Xbox open house before PAX kicks off