Let me shoot you straight.
We had a bit of trouble filming Good Cop, Bad Cop at the 2013 Game Developers Conference. In case you don't understand the premise of the show — Really? It's the title! — one person defends a game while the another attacks it. One person's the good cop, the other the bad cop. Simple, right?
The premise works pretty well when covering a slew of AAA games that have been homogenized into soulless, but relatively entertaining husks. Well, the format's not as well suited for discussing fantastic independent games, the kind that are fueled by the creative energy of optimistic, uncynical designers.
In this episode, we play Spaceteam (a game that devoured my winter vacation), Samurai Gunn (a game that will devour my summer vacation) and Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime (a space vacation). Honestly, if you asked me to write down my favorite games of 2013 as of this moment, I would include all three. That's the pleasure of the Game Developers Conference and the Independent Games Festival: being overwhelmed with passion projects.
So, with that in mind, kick back, relax, let's just pretend this is a video of three absolutely thrilling new video games. We'll call it "Good Cop, Good Cop." Everything's going to be OK.
More from Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Mon July 28
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.2: Silent Crusaders
- Tell Us Your Story
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Have you heard of Toki's Magic Wand???
- Infamous Second Son: 2.5/5 For Me!
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today
- Weekend at Polygon's: Open Thread - July 26-27
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- RIP Friends List?