The Wii U version of Aliens: Colonial Marines is no longer in development, publisher Sega confirmed to Polygon earlier today.
"Sega can confirm that the Wii U sku of Aliens: Colonial Marines is no longer in development," a Sega representative wrote.
Rumors of the Wii U version have been circling since the end of March, after the port missed its Q1 2013 launch window. Both Sega and Cambridge, Mass.-based developer Demiurge refused to comment on the game's late arrival following the quarter's end. Earlier this morning, reports that the game had been pulled from several European retailers began to surface, likely leading to Sega's confirmation that the Wii U version had been scrapped.
"We are constantly looking at all areas of our business and in this case have made the decision to not continue development of the Wii U version," the representative later added. "Rest assured that we have some fantastic developments for Wii U in the pipeline which we will announce at a later date."
We have reached out to Gearbox and Demiurge to comment on the Wii U version's cancellation, and are still awaiting response.
Update: Demiurge CEO Albert Reed has confirmed to Polygon that it wasn't Demiurge's decision to cancel development on the Wii U version of the game.
"We were very sorry to hear about the cancellation of Aliens for Wii U," Reed wrote, in response to queries of why the game was canceled. "It's business-as-usual here at Demiurge Studios. We are focused on making Shoot Many Robots for mobile kick ass and we've got another unannounced game in the works that we can't wait to unveil!"
When asked whose decision it was to pull the plug, Reed wrote in response, "I can certainly confirm that Demiurge didn't decide to cancel it! We're proud of the work we did there and sad the world won't get to see it. It's the game industry and this sort of thing, sadly, happens all the time. We just roll with it and move on."
- This is a video game (and it's the best thing ever)
- The Sims 4 gameplay video - 48 hours in the life of a Sim
- Here's your first look at Dead or Alive 5 Last Round on PS4 and Xbox One
- Nearly 1K developers sign letter to end intolerance in the games community (update)
- There is a human inside this insane Metal Gear cosplay
- Polygon Daily Open Thread: What is this thing? Is this interesting? - Tue Sep 2
- Looking for good JRPGs on PS3, help needed
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17.1 - Woady call me kōhai!
- What Have You Been Reading? (September 2014)
- What is your Current Game of the Year?
- Let's talk about the Guardians of the Galaxy film
- Forum moderation?
- Editorial idea for Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread: Personable - Mon Sep 1
- Woady Reviews Anime: Whisper of the Heart