Publisher Ubisoft says it has disabled the PC game download service for Uplay, its digital distribution and digital rights management service, after an exploit allowed users to download upcoming spin-off Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon weeks early — and for free.
Users who downloaded an executable that tricked the Uplay platform into providing a download for Blood Dragon were able to access the game's information earlier this week. The exploit allowed Uplay users to download other games from Ubisoft and other publishers on the service, not just the unreleased Far Cry 3 spin-off.
Gameplay footage of Blood Dragon leaked last night, following the exploit.
Ubisoft tells Polygon it is "aware of the issue and are working to resolve it quickly."
"No personal information was compromised," a Ubisoft spokesperson wrote in a statement to Polygon. "Uplay's PC download service will be unavailable until the problem is fixed however all other Uplay services remain available."
Michael McKinnon, a security advisor at AVG, said the crack requires users to download a "potentially malicious executable file" in order to "modify a locally installed file that tricks the UPlay platform into providing a download link and details for the game."
"Obtaining untrusted executable files is extremely dangerous and many such files, popular in gaming communities, often contain malicious code designed to steal gaming account login details and other private information; which can be traded for money by the perpetrators," McKinnon wrote.
Polygon has reached out to Ubisoft for additional details on the disabling of certain Uplay services on PC and will update with any new information.
- Proof '90s kids playing video games are cooler than kids today
- Win a trip to California and one-day design apprenticeship on Sunset Overdrive!
- Eve's new executive producer has a plan to attract new players with the help of old ones
- How cows predicted the seedy underbelly of social gaming
- The Swapper coming to Wii U later this year
More from Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Fri July 25
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.2: Silent Crusaders
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.1: Silent Crusaders
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Women in Games: A Reaction
- DESTINY disappointment?
- What's your favorite silly game?
- Why you don't like this headline: Here's how a change in style guide might just be the most clicked click thing you've clicked today
- A New Steam Controller