Publisher Ubisoft says it has disabled the PC game download service for Uplay, its digital distribution and digital rights management service, after an exploit allowed users to download upcoming spin-off Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon weeks early — and for free.
Users who downloaded an executable that tricked the Uplay platform into providing a download for Blood Dragon were able to access the game's information earlier this week. The exploit allowed Uplay users to download other games from Ubisoft and other publishers on the service, not just the unreleased Far Cry 3 spin-off.
Gameplay footage of Blood Dragon leaked last night, following the exploit.
Ubisoft tells Polygon it is "aware of the issue and are working to resolve it quickly."
"No personal information was compromised," a Ubisoft spokesperson wrote in a statement to Polygon. "Uplay's PC download service will be unavailable until the problem is fixed however all other Uplay services remain available."
Michael McKinnon, a security advisor at AVG, said the crack requires users to download a "potentially malicious executable file" in order to "modify a locally installed file that tricks the UPlay platform into providing a download link and details for the game."
"Obtaining untrusted executable files is extremely dangerous and many such files, popular in gaming communities, often contain malicious code designed to steal gaming account login details and other private information; which can be traded for money by the perpetrators," McKinnon wrote.
Polygon has reached out to Ubisoft for additional details on the disabling of certain Uplay services on PC and will update with any new information.
- Games for Change 2014: How gaming can change everything
- Skylanders Trap Team coming Oct. 5 with a new twist and a new portal
- Playing with privilege: the invisible benefits of gaming while male
- Puppeteer, PayDay 2 and more join PS Plus Europe free game collection April 30
- Is Watch Dogs doing anything original?
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: What? (Wed 23 April)
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 8: GOLDEN CRISIS
- NVIDIA GeForce Titan For Gaming?!
- Changing Posting Name
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Weekend at Polygon's: Party Time (19-20 April)
- Twitch Stream: Titanfall (One Match)
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: 2sday (Tue 22 April)
- Polygon Feast & Fitness Vol. 3
- Darkest Polygon: Lets start a Polygon Dark Souls 2 covenant