The fastest gameplay mode in Maxis' recently launched SimCity — known as "Cheetah" speed — has been restored, more than a month after the developer throttled the simulation game during its disastrous launch week.
In an update posted to SimCity's Facebook and Twitter accounts, Maxis wrote it "recently brought back Cheetah Speed." The option to play SimCity at its fastest speed was disabled on March 7, restricting players to normal or "Llama" speed. At the time, Maxis said it turned off certain "non-critical" features, including leaderboards and achievements, in an effort to improve the game's overall performance.
At launch, SimCity was severely hampered by issues related to its server-based architecture. Cheetah speed was restored to the game's test servers on March 30.
Maxis says its also working on update 2.0 for SimCity, with the promise of more information to come.
- Why no wireless chat with Xbox One Headsets?
- Contest: Want to go to the Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls launch party on March 24?
- Mobile Marketing Tips
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: Prepare to Die (Tues 11 Mar)
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 5: The where I yet again break the rules
- This is why we can't have nice things.
- Post your Polygon Daily/Weekender headers here (March 2014)
- More Pokémon Discussions: Redux
- Owen Good, joining Polygon as senior reporter, weekends
- Prepare for Titanfall (Xbox One)