The fastest gameplay mode in Maxis' recently launched SimCity — known as "Cheetah" speed — has been restored, more than a month after the developer throttled the simulation game during its disastrous launch week.
In an update posted to SimCity's Facebook and Twitter accounts, Maxis wrote it "recently brought back Cheetah Speed." The option to play SimCity at its fastest speed was disabled on March 7, restricting players to normal or "Llama" speed. At the time, Maxis said it turned off certain "non-critical" features, including leaderboards and achievements, in an effort to improve the game's overall performance.
At launch, SimCity was severely hampered by issues related to its server-based architecture. Cheetah speed was restored to the game's test servers on March 30.
Maxis says its also working on update 2.0 for SimCity, with the promise of more information to come.
More from Polygon
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.3: Summer Crusaders
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Fri Aug 1
- Share Button Use? Can you post to another service other than FaceBook?
- Frames Per Second FPS?? How to tell 60 vs 30?
- Post your Weekend at Polygon/Daily headers here (July 2014)
- Hi, nice to meet you.
- What games on the Hype Train exceeded your expectations?
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Looking for some good Players
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Thu July 31