Wii owners will notice a new message from Nintendo on their systems today, reminding users that the company's recent Wii U console release isn't simply a Wii upgrade.In the message aimed at Wii console owners, Nintendo emphasizes its Wii U system is in fact "an entirely new system," and not simply an upgrade to the previous games console.
"It's time to discover Wii U," reads the statement, first reported by Kotaku. "Wii U is the all-new home console from Nintendo. It's not just an upgrade - it's an entirely new system that will change the way you and your family experience games and entertainment."
This message follows last week's statement from Nintendo global president Satoru Iwata, in which he tackled the issue of slow Wii U sales. Speaking during a financial results briefing, Iwata said Nintendo had been unable to successfully demonstrate the purpose of the new console to consumers.
"Some have the misunderstanding that Wii U is just Wii with a pad for games, and others even consider Wii U GamePad as a peripheral device connectable to Wii," said Iwata. "We feel deeply responsible for not having tried hard enough to have consumers understand the product."
Iwata later added that Nintendo will focus its efforts on helping consumers understand the console, in addition to bulking up its software lineup to help the system regain its sale momentum.
- How a video game helped save my sanity
- Dragon Quest Heroes brings the series back to PlayStation in Dynasty Warriors style
- The New Nintendo 3DS is everything fun, exhausting, about Nintendo's strategy
- Persona 5 coming to PS3 and PS4 in 2015
- Disgaea 5, Earth Defense Force, Ys, Gundam and Senran Kagura coming to PS4
- Polygon Daily Open Thread: Personable - Mon Sep 1
- Post your Weekend at Polygon/Daily headers here (September 2014)
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17.1 - Woady call me kōhai!
- Good graphics cards for £80-110?
- Help Nipah build a PC
- On Being A "Gamer"
- Weekend at Polygon's: Open Thread - Aug 30-31
- Reconsidering Columbine
- Woady Reviews Anime: Bleach the Movie: Hell Verse
- What is your Current Game of the Year?