Wii owners will notice a new message from Nintendo on their systems today, reminding users that the company's recent Wii U console release isn't simply a Wii upgrade.In the message aimed at Wii console owners, Nintendo emphasizes its Wii U system is in fact "an entirely new system," and not simply an upgrade to the previous games console.
"It's time to discover Wii U," reads the statement, first reported by Kotaku. "Wii U is the all-new home console from Nintendo. It's not just an upgrade - it's an entirely new system that will change the way you and your family experience games and entertainment."
This message follows last week's statement from Nintendo global president Satoru Iwata, in which he tackled the issue of slow Wii U sales. Speaking during a financial results briefing, Iwata said Nintendo had been unable to successfully demonstrate the purpose of the new console to consumers.
"Some have the misunderstanding that Wii U is just Wii with a pad for games, and others even consider Wii U GamePad as a peripheral device connectable to Wii," said Iwata. "We feel deeply responsible for not having tried hard enough to have consumers understand the product."
Iwata later added that Nintendo will focus its efforts on helping consumers understand the console, in addition to bulking up its software lineup to help the system regain its sale momentum.
More from Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Fri Aug 1
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.3: Summer Crusaders
- Share Button Use? Can you post to another service other than FaceBook?
- Frames Per Second FPS?? How to tell 60 vs 30?
- Post your Weekend at Polygon/Daily headers here (July 2014)
- Hi, nice to meet you.
- What games on the Hype Train exceeded your expectations?
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Looking for some good Players
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Thu July 31