The developers of Monaco: What's Yours is Mine wanted to include two competitive multiplayer modes in the game but cut them because of issues with balance and quality, said creator Andy Schatz in a Reddit AMA today.
Asked about features that developer Pocketwatch Games was forced to cut, Schatz mentioned modes called Cops and Robbers and Thief vs. Thief. According to Schatz, both modes were playable, but the developers found that they weren't well-balanced in the existing levels.
"We were going to have to build entirely new content tailored to them in order to make them feel at the same level of quality," he said. From Schatz's description, it sounds like Cops and Robbers was closer to release-worthy as a game type than Thief vs. Thief, although he noted, "There are some [interesting] challenges with both that we never fully figured out."
Pocketwatch tried a few different designs for Thief vs. Thief to keep it evenly balanced, but eventually decided that "there really wasn't enough interaction between players for it to feel fun," said Schatz. For Cops and Robbers, Pocketwatch discovered that adding a cop to the existing levels didn't work — it was too easy for the thieves to win in the early stages, and "almost impossible" in the later ones.
"When it worked, though, it was incredibly fun," said Schatz, who added that he hopes to release Cops and Robbers as downloadable content for Monaco at some point.
Schatz also said Monaco has already earned more than $1.2 million in its two and a half weeks on Steam. Approximately $200,000 of that came from direct pre-orders through the game's website, which was enough for Schatz to pay back the $100,000 investment that the Indie Fund put into the game. As it stands, Pocketwatch currently has between $600,000 and $700,000 left after Indie Fund's 10 percent cut of sales, and most of the people who worked on the game will also get a cut of the revenue.
"In the end, I'm far from rich, but certainly will be paid back for development and will have enough to make another game," said Schatz.
- Persona 5 coming to PS3 and PS4 in 2015
- Madden 15's outspoken cover star loses with grace in his very first game
- Is Telltale teasing the setting for its new Game of Thrones series?
- How a video game helped save my sanity
- Resident Evil Revelations 2 coming 'early 2015'
- Dragon Quest 7 3DS remake may not be worth the cost for Square to translate
- Final Fantasy Type-0 HD is a mature, 'true remaster' of the original game
- See how World of Warcraft's other side lives
- Saints Row developer: 'Sarkeesian is right'
- League of Legends World Championship poised to sell out 45K seat stadium