The spiritual sequel to Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem in development at Precursor Games has taken its crowdfunding efforts to Kickstarter — one week after launching its own independent fundraising campaign — in an attempt to get Shadow of the Eternals made.
Precursor Games CEO Paul Caporicci says the newly launched Kickstarter drive will "run in parallel with our existing website crowdfunding campaign," similar to space sim Star Citizen's dual-fundraising plan. Since launching its crowdfunding campaign on its own website, Precursor has raised a little more than 10 percent of the $1.5 million it was seeking for Shadow of the Eternals' first episode.
The goal for Shadow of the Eternals' Kickstarter campaign is set at $1.35 million, the remaining amount — as of the secondary campaign's launch — needed to reach Precursor's original goal. The campaign will run for the next 36 days.
Precursor says that backers who have already supported the game through its website will be rewarded with "an exclusive Whateley Expose; a digital collection of materials containing lore, manuscripts and clues" for the game. Early backers will also receive an extra forum badge "in acknowledgement of their fearless contributions."
Shadow of the Eternals was unveiled in early May as a follow-up to Nintendo GameCube psychological horror game Eternal Darkness. The spiritual sequel is targeted for release in 2014 on PC and Wii U as an episodic series, should it receive funding.
Developer Precursor Games is comprised primarily of former Silicon Knights employees, including former chief creative officer Denis Dyack. For more on the relationship between Silicon Knights and Precursor Games, read our report on the two companies.
- Solving Silent Hills' playable trailer
- The 'true' story of a Pokémon game that turns you into a murderer
- I caught every Pokémon and it only took most of my life
- Want to pitch your indie game? Learn from the guy who's directing Star Wars VIII
- Sony ending PlayStation Home service in Japan and Asia in 2015
- 'Goodbye Polygon,' said Frushtick
- Pokegon Daily Open Thread: Double Sabre - Fri Aug 22
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17 - Heart Containers
- Games with great Sound Design
- What "Console Wars" taught me about myself and being a fanboy
- Pokégon Daily Open Thread - Thu Aug 21
- Post your Weekend at Polygon/Daily headers here (August 2014)
- Anime You Might Not Have Tried/Heard of #9
- 90's Cartoon Network vs. 90's Nickelodeon.
- Polynauts Fantasy Football League