The spiritual sequel to Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem in development at Precursor Games has taken its crowdfunding efforts to Kickstarter — one week after launching its own independent fundraising campaign — in an attempt to get Shadow of the Eternals made.
Precursor Games CEO Paul Caporicci says the newly launched Kickstarter drive will "run in parallel with our existing website crowdfunding campaign," similar to space sim Star Citizen's dual-fundraising plan. Since launching its crowdfunding campaign on its own website, Precursor has raised a little more than 10 percent of the $1.5 million it was seeking for Shadow of the Eternals' first episode.
The goal for Shadow of the Eternals' Kickstarter campaign is set at $1.35 million, the remaining amount — as of the secondary campaign's launch — needed to reach Precursor's original goal. The campaign will run for the next 36 days.
Precursor says that backers who have already supported the game through its website will be rewarded with "an exclusive Whateley Expose; a digital collection of materials containing lore, manuscripts and clues" for the game. Early backers will also receive an extra forum badge "in acknowledgement of their fearless contributions."
Shadow of the Eternals was unveiled in early May as a follow-up to Nintendo GameCube psychological horror game Eternal Darkness. The spiritual sequel is targeted for release in 2014 on PC and Wii U as an episodic series, should it receive funding.
Developer Precursor Games is comprised primarily of former Silicon Knights employees, including former chief creative officer Denis Dyack. For more on the relationship between Silicon Knights and Precursor Games, read our report on the two companies.
- How video games can change the world, one child at a time
- Playing with privilege: the invisible benefits of gaming while male
- Why a deal between Netflix and Comcast matters to gamers
- Moebius: Empire Rising review: remedial history
- Child of Light's creators discuss the birth of Aurora and her fairytale journey
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: Beast Mode (Thurs 24 April)
- Titanfall less addictive than previous/similar games?
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 8: GOLDEN CRISIS
- Darkest Polygon: Lets start a Polygon Dark Souls 2 covenant
- NVIDIA GeForce Titan For Gaming?!
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: What? (Wed 23 April)
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Game freezes at the starting screen, launch error
- Changing Posting Name
- Weekend at Polygon's: Party Time (19-20 April)